Digital Tv Without A Fixed Line

djsim

Hi guys,

I was wondering is it possible to get digital (sky) with having a fixed phone line. I am moving house soon and dont pactiularly want to give Eircom 22 quid for "line rental"

Thanks

I know you can get it through a PC but dont really want to go down that route

as far as i know you can get sky now without a phone line but i think they then charge an installation fee and they won't let u sign up to sky+

I believe Sky now allow you pay something like 40 Euro if you want to sign up without a phone line. This is what I read on Boards.ie at the weekend.

I managed to do this a year ago. I got charged €150, and I was told by the installers that if I rang sky and told them that I had no line that they would cut me off.
So yes, it can be done (aska ny sky reseller) but it's a bit cloak and dagger.
Can't get sky+ or multiroom without a phone line though.

I had heard about this no phoneline option and email sky asking them about it, their response was you must have a phone line even though I knew somebody who got it without one.

I got a line in for broadband as I need to be able to work remotely, the installer just plugged it into the phone line while he setup the card and then unplugged it and told me not to bother connecting it up as sky don't bother checking anymore

grizzcol said:
as far as i know you can get sky now without a phone line but i think they then charge an installation fee and they won't let u sign up to sky+

They should let you sign up to Sky+. What they won't let you do is avail of their free or discounted equipment offers without having a phoneline attached. You would have to purchase the Sky+ box from an independent reseller for the full price.

They do charge a one off connection fee to authorise the signal.

There is no technical requirement to have a phoneline connected to any of the boxes unless you utilise the interactive menus. By interactive I mean ordering box office, checking your bills etc etc.

As for multi-room you do need a phoneline attached. This is to prevent you from using the box in another premises and thus availing of a discounted subscription.

Post kind of duplicated with the Sky HD thread - apologies

Thanks guys for all your input, I will chance it. have to really. Would the same apply for chorus?

Back