Aikens Village, Cluan Bruagh, Sandyford

S

sharonnz

Aikens Village

We are moving to Aikens village soon. Does anyone know/use a feeder bus from the village to a Luas stop?
Has anyone walked from the village to the closest Luas stop, if so how long does it take approx?
Any feed back appreciated.
Cheers

Re: Aikens Village

Hello there

Sorry for the late reply.
Its 2kms to the nearest LUAS stop which is in Leopardstown so probably about 25 mins depending on your pace.
Coming home will take longer as its all up hill though...

Not sure about the buses yet.

Please indicate the approximation location of the development you are asking about in the title.
I assume this development is somewhere near Leopardstown in Dublin?
aj

Re: Aikens Village, Sandyford

Its in Sandyford but bordering onto Stepaside

Its proabably around a 25 minute walk alright I agree with the previous poster

Hi all

I am new to the forum, but i must say i find this place really useful.

I was wondering if i could get some advice from anyone on a property that i am thinking of purchasing in Cluan Brugh,Aikens Village,Sandyford.

I am buying a 1st floor (one above ground)990 sq foot two bedroom apartment. The apartment is finished to a very nice standard including tiled bathrooms, towels heaters etc. The Kitchen comes totally equipped with all appliances and units to a very high standard.

The Kitchen is totally divided off the living room by a hall way as is the dining area. The views are as good as it gets at the moment overlooking the mountains. I am looking over the pitch and putt course on the other side of the road at the moment. They say that planning has been denied for the Pitch and Putt course it but i am a little worried about the future.

I must say it is a really nice apartment but the price is E535,000. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated.

Do you think i would be better off buying an apartment in the same development that does not use the space aswell as this apartment for a cheaper price?
For instance you can get a 1500 sq foot that uses the space badly for about 535 including stamp but it is not as well laid out.

Re: Need opinions in a hurry on Aikens Village, Cluan Bruagh, Sandyford

I think €535,000 seems overpriced for a two bedroom apartment even at 990sqft. I'm paying €365,000 for a 950sqft 2nd floor in Parkview, up the road in Stepaside (although I bought off the plans over a year ago so prices have gone up a good bit since then) Had look at Aiken's Village before and wasn't that impressed - although I think Cluan Bruagh is the newer phase so didn't look at them. Personally I didn't like the look of the development but thats just my opinion I suppose. Eventually the Pitch and Putt will be developed like the rest of the remaining lands around Sandyford and Stepaside - there's no avoiding that but its across the road so although it might obstruct your view it shouldn't be too intrusive. The 1500sqft unit seems way better value for money although it would really depend on how badly laid out it is I suppose.

On myhome.ie there is a second hand 732sqft 2 bed in Aikens quoting €380k and a 3 bed 1345sqft ground floor with an asking price of €500k so €535k does seem a lot (even taking into account stamp duty savings).

Anyway I'm not trying to put you off or anything, I'm just saying be careful you don't overpay.

Hi,
One of my friends lives in this development, in an apartment which seems very similar in size and layout to the one you are looking at. It is a lovely apartment and I agree the standard is very high compared to many other developments. I really like that fact that the kitchen/dining area is separate from the living room.

She did have quite a few problems at the start though with the plumbing, leaks etc but she's got them all fixed.

The price seems a bit high though... My friend bought hers a year ago for €450K and it's on the third floor.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your advice and feedback, anybody else have anything they can share with me?

I am really startinhg to wonder am i making a bad decision here.

Thanks again, the advice anybody can lend is greatly appreciated.

My brother and his girlfriend bought in Grianan fiadh at the end of €2004 for about €340k. Think their apartment is about the 1100sq foot mark but has three bedrooms. The finish was good in theirs and so far they have had very few problems. Sound insulation is also good. Their kitchen/dining/living area though is open plan and I think that's one downside in their place. It's pretty rare to get them separate these days so I think that's a big plus in your possible buy. My brother has complained about some issues to do with the Management Agents and lack of parking, but that also seems pretty much par for the course these days.

i looked at apartments there as I've always liked the stepaside area. The apartments looked well finished inside. Didn't buy there in the end for several reasons nothing to do with the place itself. Saying that though one thing that annoyed me is the developers brochures all show the site next door to the main entrance as being a lanscaped parkland area, when in fact they don't even own it, the council do and will be building there themselves in time.

Hi there,

I am new to this forum also but was doing a search on Aikens Village to see what I could find out about the Social Housing sign my husband and I noticed while driving out onto the Enniskery Road after a few viewings yesterday.

We have been looking in the development for a while now and a property has come available in Cluain Shee whish we love - a 3 bed apartment - only with all the development around and the proposed Social and Affordable Housing going up right beside - we are obviously worried about re selling in a few years and potential drop in value because of this.

Any thoughts??
Appreciated!

i don't think social and affordable housing will have to much impact on the value of other properties there. i assume they will just be more apartment buildings. there is plenty of social housing up the road in the sandyford view development for example. i would contact dun loaghaire county council and ask them what exactly is planned for this site. they may even have some info on their web site http://www.dlrcoco.ie/

It gets on my nerves the way people automatically assume that those who qualify for affordable housing are scum and will run down the place they live. Those earning under 40K can qualify and if I'd have known that when I bought by myself I would have applied myself. I'm from a prosperous area in Blackrock, have a permanent, pensionable job with an MSc and am just starting in the workforce still earning under 40. I'm not scum and I'd certainly not lower the standards of anywhere I live so people, stop being snobs!
Social and affordable housing are in most developments. They are not built so they look like the ballymun flats, they look the exact same as the rest of the apartments. Nobody can tell the difference.

rmc said:
Hi there,

I am new to this forum also but was doing a search on Aikens Village to see what I could find out about the Social Housing sign my husband and I noticed while driving out onto the Enniskery Road after a few viewings yesterday.

We have been looking in the development for a while now and a property has come available in Cluain Shee whish we love - a 3 bed apartment - only with all the development around and the proposed Social and Affordable Housing going up right beside - we are obviously worried about re selling in a few years and potential drop in value because of this.

Any thoughts??
Appreciated!

If you check out the Parkview stepaside thread you will get all the info for the plans for that area of land.

Seriously there is no need to worry. Only for the big sign u wouldnt have even known what was being built there. Before I carried out my research into affordable/ Social I was worried too... but that was me being ignorant (not saying that u are) .I only wish I had known about the plans before we put our deposit down on an apartment cause I would have applied for the affordable housing. They are going to look the same as the ones in Belarmine and Aikens Village - well thats the impression I got when I spoke to the dun loaghaire county council.

Its a fantastic area. U would be mad not to go for it just because of that. If u watched "Im an adult get me out of there" you would have clearly seen that none of them were "Scum".. I agree with Bron.

Thanks - I just spoke to both the County Council and they re-directed my call to the Social and Affordable Housing office directly. Apparently the development is still seeking planning approval and council doesnt meet again until September so at the very earliest with planning permission construction wont begin until 2007. There are approximately 153 units planned (both apartments and houses) - 30% of these will be affordable and the regulations state they will not be built higher than 3 storey.

I suspect prices my temporarily drop in the area but in the long term not be affected that much - hopefully!

rmc said:
Thanks - I just spoke to both the County Council and they re-directed my call to the Social and Affordable Housing office directly. Apparently the development is still seeking planning approval and council doesnt meet again until September so at the very earliest with planning permission construction wont begin until 2007. There are approximately 153 units planned (both apartments and houses) - 30% of these will be affordable and the regulations state they will not be built higher than 3 storey.

I suspect prices my temporarily drop in the area but in the long term not be affected that much - hopefully!

Interesting - they told me that they dont build apartments. As I said earlier I cant see any change. If that sign didnt go up nobody would be any the wiser. I can guarantee you that there are already loads of apartments and houses around the area that are social and affordable.

Yes I thought so too - in any case thanks for your replies and thoughts - Also - I never for a moment suggested that Social and Affordable Housing related directly to any particular type of tenant, but am aware that it does mean cheaper housing than what I am prepared to pay for a three bed apartment in Aikens Village - I am merely trying to protect my investment with a view to re-sell in about three years. To that end, and having noticed some price drops already in the same complex, I have asked the question.

They have affordable housing in Bracken Hill down the road from you. I'v just bought in Rockview - it's all in the same development just different names. The Rockview prices didn't drop in fact looking at Hooke and McDonald website I'v made bout 80-90K since I bought in Feb and as for Bracken Hill- a 2 bed going for 400K just ment the person who qualified for it paid 200K and council paid rest. I'm telling you, there is no difference in the apartments. You can't tell from looking at them that one block is built for the council. Thats the way I assumed it would be for all developments. maybe I'm wrong.

Dealing with Canon Kirk at Aikens Village

I would like to know if anybody has had any dealings with Canon Kirk homes in the Aikens VIllage devlepment in Sandyford. I would really appreciate a pm if you have had to deal with them over the last two years or so.

Regards,
Eain

Back