Tips for tiling on an uneven floor

mozzer

Hi, the tiler I'm using is relatively new to the game. He tiled a bathroom and ensuite for me and did a good quality job. when he started to tile the kitchen he told me the floor was uneven in parts and he couldn't tile on it. I called the builder and the builder said that the tiler should build up the adhesive under some of the tiles so that the tiled floor comes out even. The tiler says he can't do this. I don't know whether it's down to inexperience or a genuine problem with how level the floor is. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this problem?

Floor levelling compound - Did the tiler or builder not sugest this? I'm sure it is still on the market.

Sounds a bit strange. When our concrete floor was very uneven the tiler sorted the problem out himself by levelling it off with, I think, filler?

This info. here might help.

Thanks for the replies guys. To be honest, the tiler is very new to the game and is a complete panicer, the builder was looking at him as if he was talking complete jibberish. Think I'll get someone else to try and finish the job off rather than have him in my ear every time he comes across a problem.....Thanks again for taking the time to reply......

Tiler are hard to get and god tilers are even harder to get.

The Kitchen floor in our NEW house had a Very uneven patch, the builder used floor levelling compond.

The tiler was good but a con man, give me a quote for the square yard, only he added about 15 sq yards to the quote. Thinking I would be an idiot and not check the measurments myself..

Be sure to let the compound dry properly before tiling

NHG said:
Floor levelling compound - Did the tiler or builder not sugest this? I'm sure it is still on the market.

it sure is... worked a treat on my floor (seen it in woodies and B&Q)

We also had to use levelling compound on our floors before the fitters would put our wooden floors is - was a huge slope in the sitting room.

D

Thanks Dools and Jhegarty, it's good to hear from others who have overcome this problem......the way the tiler was talking, you'd think that this was the first time this had ever happened, anyway I'll know from now on to get someone more experienced.......

a lot of new tilers and recent apprentices have only worked on "new work" where the floor was level and upstairs had ply laid on it. Relatively easy work. when it comes to "old work" when old tiles have been ripped up or never tiled before and never levelled, like a garage conversion it takes a bit more prep.

Anyone looking for any more than a couple of pounds of levelling compound would do well to buy a big bag (25kg) from a builders providers rather than go to the Gucci DIY stores where a significant premium is sometimes extracted.

Isnt there a company who'll call with a big truck and pump some levelling compound / other substance in to level serious porblem floors.

Saw it in an ad at a Statoil Garage while filling the car.

Don't take chances on tiling / levelling. You're stuck with the results.

BM

Purchase a good floor levelling compound and should have no problem. If the floor is really bad you can use a thick bed adhesive which will bring up floor level to about 10mm ( floor leveler will only bring up to 3/4mm) All available from Chadwicks and other tile stores. I would get another tiler to do the job as tiling a floor is much more difficult than wall tiling, and needs someone with experience as floors take a lot more abuse in its lifetime than walls and it it important that tiles are fixed correctly gerry ryan

Good points from all......particularly the one about apprentice tilers.....I'm having a more experienced tiler look at the floor tonight to get his view.....I'll probably get him to do the job......as you say, you're stuck with the results.....

jaybird said:
Just to add-on a question, if you have a new build with nice level floors, concrete on one level and pine boards on another, would you recommend somebody to DIY the floor tiles? Is it a difficult job? I'm thinking really of doing 2 bathrooms and a small kitchen, all very reg in size and shape. Would I be crazy to do it myself? If the answer is yes, does anyone know the average price to pay a tiler per sq metre?

Thank you

Hi Jaybird,

We tried tiling here a few times and found it very hard. If you run the search option in this forum you should get quotes on some previous threads. If I recall correctly there are a few around including the key post.

Back