Energizer Lithium AA Batteries

How does the VAT work out,

I'd be interesting in buying the ink cartridges and some batteries!!! from the site referred to by Dr. Moriarty!!! Is there any way that I can avoid paying VAT - should I split the order and pay only the postage each time?. *looks around* any maths wizzards out there please.:)

Justsally

DrMoriarty said:
I find that these last several hundred times longer..!

I have a few of them too;). Unfortunately, the camera is unlikely to continue to work if I need to change them half way through a dive ...

justsally said:
How does the VAT work out,

I'd be interesting in buying the ink cartridges and some batteries!!! from the site referred to by Dr. Moriarty!!! Is there any way that I can avoid paying VAT - should I split the order and pay only the postage each time?. *looks around* any maths wizzards out there please.:)

Justsally

I never had to pay VAT, but I don't know whether I should have or not. They seem to have a threshold of £18 for VAT, but I reckon that applies to UK deliveries.

Any of the stuff I've purchased from them would still be very good value if VAT was payable.

Would you recommend purchasing a charger from them or is any charger suitable? I'm ignorant on this score and given the amount of batteries we use at home it would seem to make sense to look at rechargeables like these.

Bootdog said:
Unfortunately, the camera is unlikely to continue to work if I need to change them half way through a dive ...
Bootdog, I know what you mean. My own camera doesn't give much warning, so I always have a spare set in the bag. But I would have thought that an underwater camera should provide a reasonably good 'early warning' indicator of low battery life?

As for the VAT question — I assume that if your delivery address is outside the UK, VAT is applied at the UK rate on orders over £18. In theory, these would be liable for the difference between the UK and RoI rates — but I've never been hit for this in the past.
Carpenter said:
Would you recommend purchasing a charger from them or is any charger suitable?
Yes, usually it makes sense to purchase a 'bundle' including a charger and 4x (or more) of the battery size(s) you need. Some older chargers are only suitable for use with Ni-Cad batteries, not the newer Ni-Mh ones, and, conversely, the newer 'fast'/1-hour chargers aren't safe to use with Ni-Cad cells (tbh, I'm not too keen on these ultra-rapid chargers anyway — they heat up the batteries something terrible, and I'm sure they must reduce their life...)

7dayshop often do such 'bundle' offers — see here, for example — and with the £3.95 flat rate shipping, it would obviously make sense to order all your extra batteries at the same time...

You can sometimes get even better value on eBay — I can highly recommend [broken link removed]. I once got a faulty charger from him, and when I contacted him he immediately sent me a nice apology and a replacement unit, plus four extra batteries, without requiring me to return the faulty one. :)

Just sally asked:"Is there any way that I can avoid paying VAT - should I split the order and pay only the postage each time"
There is no requirement to pay vat on items priced less than £18. This is from the revenue site: [broken link removed]
"Packages with a value not exceeding 22 or £18, regardless of their commercial status.These packages can be admitted free of customs duty and VAT. This relief is known as the "De Minimis Relief" or more commonly as the "small packages" relief."
In the past, I've ordered several items together which in total came to around £90, but 7dayshop.com sent them in seperate packages so there was no VAT payable. I have had no problems with them and found them to offer some great deals.​

DrMoriarty said:
Yes, usually it makes sense to purchase a 'bundle' including a charger and 4x (or more) of the battery size(s) you need. Some older chargers are only suitable for use with Ni-Cad batteries, not the newer Ni-Mh ones, and, conversely, the newer 'fast'/1-hour chargers aren't safe to use with Ni-Cad cells (tbh, I'm not too keen on these ultra-rapid chargers anyway — they heat up the batteries something terrible, and I'm sure they must reduce their life...)

7dayshop often do such 'bundle' offers — see here, for example — and with the £3.95 flat rate shipping, it would obviously make sense to order all your extra batteries at the same time...

You can sometimes get even better value on eBay — I can highly recommend [broken link removed]. I once got a faulty charger from him, and when I contacted him he immediately sent me a nice apology and a replacement unit, plus four extra batteries, without requiring me to return the faulty one. :)

Thanks DrMoriarty, I'll look into it this evening.

Problem here is that a dive would be up to an hour long, with the camera on all the time & ready to shoot. As you can't see through the normal viewfinder, I've to leave the screen on, and 2 AA batts run out after about 40 minutes or so ...

Anyhow, I've ordered these now, I'll post back on how long they last.

If anyone's getting new rechargeable batteries, you can make them last longer by fully draining them for the first few times you use them (e.g. if you're using them in a camera, stick them into a torch when they are drained, and leave the torch on until the bulb dies totally). This will make them last longer the next time they are in the camera.

Afaik, Ni-MH batteries shouldn't have quite the same 'memory' problems as Ni-Cads or Lithium rechargeables — but that's still good advice.

Some chargers also have a 'complete discharge'/replenish function, supposed to be used every 40th or 50th time you charge the batteries... but what Bootdog suggested will do the trick just as well.

Check out the Battery University for more fascinating insights... ;)

Carpenter said:
Wow- great site DrM.!
Translation: 'Someone has WAAAAY too much time on his hands...!' :D

Edit: I heard elsewhere today that Maplins are apparently offering a Uniross charger and 4x 2300mAh for €14.99, which is pretty much the same as that 7dayshop offer — and no p&p, of course.

If anyone's interested, these batteries are excellent.

I took them down during 4 dives, and they didn't move off the "battery full" indication. Given that I filled two memory cards 512 MB each (75% pics, 25% video), plus another half a card, I've probably got 3 times more life than duracells so far ... and they are still going strong.

they are possibly better value than normal alkaline batteries (i.e. 3 times the price, but last more than 3 times longer), but obviously rechargeable is the way to go.

Also, there are four little holes at the top of the battery. These do not normally leak/release gas, but if the battery is short-circuitted, they are designed to allow the battery to leak without exploding. It also says on the packaging that if they go on fire, you can't extinguish them with water!

Hello,

I've ordered some ink cartridges and some other small items from 7day shop.. So far, I've received just one cartridge :( . Do they usually break orders down into single items for delivery.

Cheers

Justsally

Yes, you should have a receipt showing the other items are on the way. There could be a week or two between different deliveries ordered on the same day (and part of the same order).

Any time I have ordered multiple items they have shipped them separately. Only one P&P charge of GBP£3.95 applies even when they do this though.

Be aware when you're buying rechargeable batteries that they come in different ratings. You ideally want to get the 2700 mAh batteries.

Hi Bootlog,

I didn't get a receipt:( but the package was in tact. The online invoice indicates that all items have been dispatched on the 24th May - but as it's early days I won't panic - yet.:)

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Justsally

Can you use 2700 mAh rechargeable batteries in any digital camera or do the cameras specify the max mAh recommended for each type?

Just wondering as these batteries (2500 mAh) and charger were recommended in a previous post by Clubman so I was wondering if I should be now looking at chargers that have 2700 mAh batteries such as this or should I go with the recommendation?

Back