Florence recommendations?

micheller

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend good hotels in Florence. Thinking about honeymoon there so best value luxury recommendations please :)
Michelle.

Hi,
I don't want to pour cold water on your choice but I must admit I found Florence
an over-crowded rip-off. I stayed in Bologna recently and loved the place. Beautiful walled medieval city without the crowds of tourists and near other fantastic mediaeval treats such as Ferrara

I guess that if you are a culture vulture you will put up with all this. In Florence, I got to the Bargello but never quite had the patience to queue for the Uffizzi.

If you do go for Florence then book the Uffizzi ahead of time on the internet.

On reflection, and although I haven't been there in a long time! — I'd be inclined to agree with what gearoid says about Florence. Lovely for a day trip or two, but for the whole honeymoon you might think about basing yourselves somewhere nearby. Siena is absolutely gorgeous, too, and being a much smaller town it's a lot quieter — much of the centre is pedestrianised, beautifully preserved and far more relaxing/'romantic'. Don't know when you're thinking of going, but the atmosphere in late June as they prepare for the is wonderful...

Just back yesterday from Florence on a 3 night break , 2 days is enough in Florence,not a honeymoon destination for a week.It took us a leisurely 2 days to see all of the sights florence has to offer, not much pub culture here only found a handfull of what you would call 'pubs'.Flew with ryanair 40 euro return all in , 140 for 3 nights 3 star right hotel beside the Dumho.
would recommend it for a great value weekend away, beats Ireland anyway

Thanks for the input there guys.

So, we're going at the end of August. We'd be looking for a cross between Romantic, lots of pubs and restaurants and culture.
I've a feeling Siena may be a little too quiet? Any other comments on Milan or Bologna?

Can anyone advise on which other major cities in Italy stack up to those requirements?

Thx,m.

We were in the area for honeymoon.
Stayed in [broken link removed]
Nice location near beautiful old village of monteregionne
Close to sienna and florence.
Not cheap but good standards.

Sorry would deifintely agree Siena is the nicer.
If you are looking for pub culture etc tuscany is not for you.
But if you enjoy sigtseeing and loads of great wine go for it.
Roads are crap and drivers are crazy! (a bit like here!)

Would have to agree with the majority here about Florence. Never been to Bologna but I'd stay well away from Milan. Only stayed there 1 night and took off in the morning, very dirty. Close to Milan is Verona, where Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet is set (that's as romantic as your going to get). I loved the city, it's small but hardly quiet. The architecture is beautiful and it's authentic, which is more than can be said for Floerence. Also Floerence is a huge tourist destination with small streets that will be packed in August.

Okay, great thanks for the Input. What about:
3 nights Verona
4 nights Siena & day trip to Florence

What are the transport systems like for getting between those two? I've no intention of driving in Italy, too scared :eek:

Public transport in Italy, in my experience, is a bit shambolic (but no more than in Ireland) — but extremely cheap! (unlike Ireland). See for details of train travel.

You'll also get to meet a few 'real' locals and will probably get a wonderful reception, as blushing newlyweds! :D

doc you are too kind
public transport is a disaster
A total disaster
like 3-4 hours delay on the two train trips we took
Drive would be my advice!

stuck on train ........no move for 3 hours.........no air con.........middle of august.........40 degrees celsius.........happened twice.........not very romantic........train was the one with carefree idleness!!

Hehe :D
Think I'd rather lateness to driving! I'm a nervous driver in Irish places I'm not familiar with so I could only imagine what I'd be like in Italy.

Any opinions on whether that itinerary would be a good compromise?

I think if you were not to drive just avoid the trains in tuscany.
Bus tour could be an option but ensure air con as seriously hot in August.
Part of the thrill of tuscany is the small chianti villages.
You will not get near them if you use train and/or taxis......so have a look at bus tours.
What we liked about the area was that both cities like siena and florence were very interesting and the country villages were just as good.
Do not miss the uffizi gallery but pre book by phone as if you dont you will have at least a 3 hour wait in the open air in the heat(recurring theme!). Thankfully we prebooked from the hotel!

If you are staying in Siena you have to check out San Gimignano, Volterra and Arrezzo. Beautiful hilltop towns with fine wine and grub. A bit further away is Lucca which is well worth a visit ( amsterdam without the canals & drugs). I have a high tolerance for heat but was in Florence at the end of August and thought I was going to die. My partner fainted while walking throgh the bobli gardens. Beautiful city it may be but the crowds and heat drove us nuts.
You really need a car and I found the roads to be good and the driving to be relatively easy. Naples! Now thats another story.
Spent a weekend in Bologna two years ago and loved every minute of it. If its food/drink/craic/culture/shopping you're after thats the spot.

Ciao,

I wouldnt recomment Florence in summer for a honeymoon either - really hot, humid, heaving with tourists - cannot think of anywhere less romantic. (The highlight was an overweight tourist covered in cameras taking off his sneakers and socks inside the Duomo to massage his feet - ugh!!) Worth a day-trip though, if you are staying in the surrounding area.

However, the area around Florence is fabulous - lovely rustic villages, amazing hilly scenery covered in olive groves, restaurants, chianti etc.
As mentioned, San Gimignano and Sienna are lovely - just like how you imagine Tuscany.

Without a car it will be hard to get around, but I have to say I found the public transport great - fast, cheap trains.

Have a lovely time!

Thanks all,
I'm hearing a lot about heat. I have very fair skin and am not really great with the heat. Is it just florence, or is all of italy a bad hotspot in August?
Would Bologna, Siena, Verona be any better?

M.

Back