Mp3 Cd

Kiddo

Hi All

Excuse me if this doesn't make any sense but your dealing with a true techno-phobe;)

My car CD player can play MP3 cd's. Can I save my cd's to mp3 format on my computer and then save them onto a blank cd...therefore saving a few albums onto one cd?

If its possible, how do I go about it..what software will I need.

Yes — you can use something like to 'rip' the audio tracks to .mp3 format, then use whatever CD burning software your PC has to make a data CD (usually about 150 .mp3s or so, depending...)

DrM - Any chance you could expand on your reply for a techno-minor. Does your reply to Kiddo mean that having 'ripped' audio files in MP3 format, they can then be 'burned' onto a CD as data and this allows multiple music tracks (audio) files to fit on a single CD - like up to 150?

PHP:
 Originally posted by DrMoriarty (usually about 150 .mp3s or so, depending...)

Yes Sherib this is correct.I've about 150 on my MP3 CD.If your MP3 player has Tagging(Name of song etc) you might use something like music match software to add Titles etc.

Technically the copying of cd to your computer/cd/mp3 player is piracy, under Irish law. You do not have any right to copy the digital music from the original cd, you can only listen to it.

Yes, if you're connected to the Internet, either MusicMatch or WMP will automatically look up details of your music CD from Gracenote's and assign the name tags to each .mp3 file (as well as downloading the album art to display in the player's 'visualisation' window).

In either player, you can set various ripping options — the most important being what format/quality of file you want. WMP, by default, records the tracks not to .mp3 but to .wma (Windows Media Audio), which offers slightly better quality than .mp3 at the same file size — or equal quality at a smaller file size. See here for further details. Most portable mp3 players will also handle .wma, but check whether your car stereo can read them on CDs.

In general, you'll get acceptable 'near-CD' quality at 128kbps .wma or 192kbps .mp3. Maybe go a bit higher if it's the Royal Philharmonic, but you won't notice any appreciable difference if Green Day is more your style... ;)

[Edit: post crossed with lynchtp's. Technically, he's right, although in other jurisdictions (e.g. the UK and US, afaik) it is legal to make a single backup for your own use of copyrighted materials of which you 'own'(?) an original copy. Legally, ripping CDs to your computer/mp3 player would constitute a lesser offence than, say, recording a TV show onto VHS or DVD...]

Thanks for all the advise...but it turns out that the Mp3 Cd was an "optional extra" in the car so i don't have it:eek: (pity I didn't discover that the * meant optional in the handbook until I had spent a few hours copying and burning the cd:( )

You can buy them quite cheaply nowadays, Kiddo — from in Argos (p. 382 of the current catalogue), or Lidl/Aldi occasionally do special offers (€79.99 last time, IIRC)

Cheers Doc, but the radio/cd player is part of the dash.
[broken link removed]

I found this
[broken link removed]

which I assume I could use with a "Creative" mp3 player..a simple plug and play solution?

Mighty fancy-looking dash! I can see why you wouldn't want to rip that out...

I've used one of those transmitters myself for about the last year or so — when I'm allowed choose the music, that is... :eek: Some people report a slight fall-off in quality, or problems with interference from radio stations, but I find mine works fine on 107.5 (mostly driving outside Dublin). Anyway, I see the one you've linked to has a choice of four different frequencies — one of them is bound to give you a reasonably good signal. Worth a try, for £6.98!

The transmitters do provide a very good option, gives a cheap soloution and great choice to your in car music without having to shell out for new hardware. The drop in quality is certainly not of a standard that would effect the majority of users enjoyment.

For anyone new to the tech side of things its also worth noting that if you have one of the newer in-car dvd players (available for a little over the cost of a good stereo over the net I believe, a friend picked up a stereo/dvd system for a touch over €200, a lone stereo system of a similiar quality was costing him about €160/€180) any music videos you may have (huge questions again over the legal side of downloading these, mpeg4 is the common format I believe) can also be played in-car.

I'm still not sure where this would ever really be needed, but as a common passenger in the car it is great fun to pass a trip. Not sure of the legal side of having it on while the car is in transit, but hes yet to have any problems.

My transmitter arrived yesterday and having (ahem...) borrowed hubbys mp3 player (and deleted all his Pink Floyd :D ) I'm all set up and its working fine...a little bit of static between tracks but I'll have a mess around with the frequency later.

Satanta said:
The transmitters do provide a very good option, gives a cheap soloution and great choice to your in car music without having to shell out for new hardware. The drop in quality is certainly not of a standard that would effect the majority of users enjoyment.
I bought one of these - [broken link removed] - from Griffin Technology in the US - postage is reasonable enough given that it was sent by FedEx and arrived 2 days later! (They have some [broken link removed]and [broken link removed], as well. In fact, you can buy Griffin producs from the although they don't seem to do the iTrip at present.)

You can choose any FM frequency you want. The last 3 frequencies you use are easily selectable from a list or you can manually choose a new one.

There are some user comments on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BVCTS4/104-9365625-7087922?v=glance&n=172282 (Amazon)- some gripes that may or may not bother everyone.

The main problem is that you can't use a case with it unless it is of the very thin iSkin / Invisible Shield variety. The other problem is that you can't use the dock connector when the iTrip is connected as it covers it; thus you can't charge it in the car if you have a car charger that uses the dock connector. However, there are other products in the iTrip range that work with all iPods that don't suffer from either problem as they simply clip on to the iPod and charge as well - check out the more expensive [broken link removed].

(Note that these products are designed exclusively for iPods although I am sure it is only a matter of time before Griffin follow the emerging trend of designing products that work with a range of MP3 players and not just iPods.)

So far, I have used it my iTrip for nano at home - on 107.4, funnily enough - and it works fine. Tried it in the car this evening around South Dublin on the same frequency and it did not work as well. Need to do some more testing over the next few days and weeks.

--- If anyone in Dublin can recommend a free frequency range and same me causing an accident as I try to operate the iTrip with one hand, my mobile with another, and drive the car with another, then I would be grateful. ;)

MonsieurBond,

I understand that Griffin are also bringing out a thing called "Tune Flex" which basically looks like an old style "gooseneck" lamp! One end you plug into the lighter & the other end holds the "nano" including the iTrip....

Looks great on the Griffin Site.....However its still on preorder

Cashman

Cashman said:
MonsieurBond

I understand that Griffin are also bringing out a thing called "Tune Flex" which basically looks like an old style "gooseneck" lamp! One end you plug into the lighter & the other end holds the "nano" including the iTrip....

Looks great on the Griffin Site.....However its still on preorder

Cashman

Just looked at the [broken link removed] on the Griffin site - yes it looks good, but requires another peripheral such as the iTrip to broadcast to FM.

Now, if the iTrip was integrated into the TuneFlex - a sort of iTuneTripFlex or iFlexTripTune, if you will, and was a reasonable price... :(

Well I am waiting for the iTrip for Mrs Cashmans Nano - my buddy picked one up last week in the states for me. Waiting for a tune flex to become availiable.......will report back when I receive it.

There should be no problems up here in Donegal with radio frequencies!!

Do you mind my asking how much the delivery from the US was for your Itrip?

Cashman

Cashman said:
Well I am waiting for the iTrip for Mrs Cashmans Nano - my buddy picked one up last week in the states for me. Waiting for a tune flex to become availiable.......will report back when I receive it.

There should be no problems up here in Donegal with radio frequencies!!

Do you mind my asking how much the delivery from the US was for your Itrip?

Cashman
Cashman, the shipping was $40 from Griffin US but I ordered 3 of them (for me & two friends) for the same shipping. Turned out to be FedEx so I got them very quickly, so it was worth it.

I see that [broken link removed] advertise free shipping to Ireland although the prices do not compare well. Guess there is no such thing as free shipping!

Back