Anyone Been to Riga Latvia

IrishGunner

Hey

going over for a stag here in the new year

Looking for some place to stay thats cheap and cheerful

Anyone ever been there and whats it like prices, beer food etc

Ta

was there last month.

probably a great place for a stag. the red light industry is very evident for fun and frolics, the beer is cheap enough (2.50 for a 500ml). There are tons of hostels there, check out www.hostelworld.com

As for hotels, they are relatively cheap but prices go up for weekends.

Food is fantastic, there is all sorts of great restaurants. decent italian places abound. its a very modern city with all amenities and close proximity to the airport.

I spent three days there, not on a stag, just a quiet city break.

The city is pretty and historic but can be walked in a day. The museums aren't up to much.

Drink is cheap enough as previously alluded to. I wasn't too impressed by the restaurants I was in. The service was still quite eastern-bloc and still reminded me of a tour of Czechoslovakia and Hungary.

I found the place a bit sleazy ... there were a lot of thuggish looking young guys driving around in big cars with tinted windows. Apparently the Russian mafia takes 10% off the top of most shops in Riga, and that's where the money from all the night-clubs and red-light is likely going as well. The first ad you see at the airport is for a strip-club.

I stayed in the Karavella hotel in the suburbs. A grim old intourist joint, not recommended.

So general view it's good for stags but for a city break I'd chose another location.

Gearoid

Back