Electricity-which co. is best?

Emily123

I'm thinking of moving from ESB to Airtricity or Bord Gais, and I'm just wondering which company is best to deal with, having never dealt with either Airtricity or Bord Gais. Pricewise, for what I want, they seem to be the same, offering 12% off until 31/12/10 and 5% thereafter (I don't want a budget plan and don't have gas).

Can someone enlighten me on what they're like re customer service, general quality of administration etc?

The information in the "Best buys" sticky is slightly out of date re timeframe for Airtricity and the PSO which seems to be gone now from the electricity bills. In fact my recent ESB bills have a PSO rebate, not sure why, or when the rebate stops, and if I'll still get it if I move from ESB.

On a slightly different note, I have requested on the ESB website a visit from "Halo" where someone comes out for free and does a home energy survey, I'm hoping they'll check all the appliances etc and show where I'm using a lot of electricity. I figure it will be weeks if not months before they do this. Does anyone know if you're still entitled to the Halo survey if you move to one of the other electricity providers?

I'm interested in the answer to this too. Got my esb bill today for 419 euro! Have to get it down.

A.

I swichted from ESB to BG recently (We found the Airtricity door to door sales guy to be too pushy and a little rude!). The only down side of BG over ESB is that BG dont offer "equaliser payments" and our bill was very large for the cold spell in December and January. Im expecting the summer bills to be very small!

I think the ESB halo service is availiable to everyone.

they seem to be the same, offering 12% off until 31/12/10 and 5%

I was seriously thinking of moving from ESB also but after Dec if there is only going to be a 5% difference I don't think I will bother.

Can someone enlighten me on what they're like re customer service, general quality of administration etc?

I switched from ESB to BGE a few months ago and haven't had any problems. I'd be surprised if anyone could honestly express any preference. No matter what company you have a contract with, ESB Networks supply you, take your readings and deal with any network problems you have. The only reason I can imagine anyone would contact their provider is if there is a billing problem.

As markpb said - the only thing that changes is the admin of the bills - so you may as well go for the cheapest one which is Airtricity - see this price comparison. If prices change after 2010 - it is simple enough to switch again
Even for someone who has gas - the cheapest option is still AIrtricity and switch to Flogas for your mains gas.

Back