12 days is 7%

car

This is bugging me. There was a teacher on from the TUI on morning ireland giving out about the proposed unpaid leave that was going to be enforced. Unless I misheard him Im prerty sure he said the 12 days amounted to a 7% cut, does anyone know how he got 7%?

That would mean 12/7*100 = 171 days is all the teachers work a year? is this true? So either I heard him wrong or his maths are wrong or mine are.

Rough estimate: They work 5 days per week, 5 * 52 = 260 days. Approximately 3 months holidays (bank holidays, summer holidays etc) = 90 days. 260-90 = 170 days.

But bear in mind that permanent teachers are paid for the whole year, holiday time as well. So thats a cut in days worked p.a., not in days paid p.a.

Yeah, but you'd hardly take a days unpaid leave while you were already on leave now would you?

Come on people! What is this, a Shooting the Breeze thread? ... Oh.

But bear in mind that permanent teachers are paid for the whole year, holiday time as well. So thats a cut in days worked p.a., not in days paid p.a.

I was thinking this, they get paid all year. Unless he was just trying to big up the % of the cut to make it sound worse then what it was/is/will be.

If its 52*5 =260, 12 days is roughly 4.6% of which tax would be offset against so lets say its the minimum 20% = 4.6 - 20% = making in reality a real cut of 3.68% plus 12 extra days off. Appreciating the fact that some people may not be able to afford that 3.68%, its also not as bad as the 7% that the TUI are saying. Not trying to enter this debate as everyone has their opinion on it, just angered me that this fella is a teacher and he didnt know what to me is simple sums.

Then again I may be wrong and he was factoring something else in but he def said 12 days = a 7% cut.

ahhaaa, its here, I cant listen to it in work, hes not on for long if someone can have a listen. Finbar Geany
http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/

edit: Just to reiterate it was just the maths involved, not the politics.

This is bugging me. There was a teacher on from the TUI on morning ireland giving out about the proposed unpaid leave that was going to be enforced. Unless I misheard him Im prerty sure he said the 12 days amounted to a 7% cut, does anyone know how he got 7%?

That would mean 12/7*100 = 171 days is all the teachers work a year? is this true? So either I heard him wrong or his maths are wrong or mine are.

I presume the teachers will take this unpaid leave during the summer months so as not to affect frontline services?

Why not abollish public and bank holiday pay? Saves 9 days per year and won't affect the service to the public as schools ad offices are closed in any event.

Abolish it for the private sector too, employers would be glad of the saving.

Secondary teachers do 167 days.

This is 180 days less the 13 days of the State exams.

The OECD average is about 190 days, some countries do 204 days.

Back