Skip Hire

ANC

I need to get rid of a load of rubbish from my garden and i'm going to hire a skip to do it.

I've seen skips on footpaths all over the place with loads twice the height of the actual skip (usually with planks etc. on the sides to keep the overflow in).

The problem is when I rang a few skip hire companies they said you can only fill the skip to one foot above the rim. Is this just the official line & they always take whatever is in the skip?

Does anyone know a skip hire company that allows you to fill up as high as you want?

I don't want to have it loaded up and then they won't take the skip off me until so much stuff is taken out of the skip.

A1 waste have taken any skips i have filled away, even though they were well above the rim, I think so long as they are packed properly they dont mind.

Recently hired a skip from Thorntons http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/docs/skips.htm Had it packed up at least 4 foot above the rim with general building waste, wood etc. They took it away no problem. As long is it is not badly packed or dangerously overloaded it should not be a problem. Found them one of the cheapest too (only marginally) but then again there seems to some sort of price fixing for skips in Dublin.

Dinging.

True! Competition Authority conducted an investigation a couple of years ago, at the time I rang 7 or 8 places for a standard skip, each quoted me €310. Not sure if things have changed much since.

Leo

thanks for the replies everyone.

i think the prices are around the same allright, i've phoned three and got prices of 300, 300 & 305 so there's no real difference.

What is worrying me though is that none of them are saying you can load up the skip way over the rim (which is what I intend to do).

I see skips like this all the time and am just wondering if the people in the office give the standard official line that you can only fill it up one foot over the rim and in practice the lorry driver will take anything as long as it's fairly secure??

Hired a skip recently from A1 and had it packed so high I was afraid they would not take it but the driver was very pleasant and took it without any comment. He was lifting it in a very confined space and had to maneouver his truck so he would not take away part of a tree which he skillfully avoided doing.

However on the hiring contract that I signed the conditions were that the load was to come up to the height of the skip.

Have a brilliant joke to share and can't wait to qualify to post in the Craic.

Hi

Is there any restriction on what can go into a hired skip? I am lifting a load of tiles from the kitchen and it will be quite alot - can this be dumped in the skip?

Tiles and general building rubble are fine. The agreement they give you to sign on receipt of the skip will list what they don't allow. Examples are fridges (due to the gas), paint and hazerdous chemicals, asbestos, and the like.

Leo

ANC said:
I see skips like this all the time and am just wondering if the people in the office give the standard official line that you can only fill it up one foot over the rim and in practice the lorry driver will take anything as long as it's fairly secure??

I've gotten two skips in the past year and half, both from Greenstar I think it was and I loaded both way above the rim, it was all very secure as I had doors and other wood around the side. As pointed out above once it is secure I think they are fine with it.

Does anyone know if any of the skip companies actually bother to recycle the stuff in their skips, as they claim, or do they just tip the whole lot into a landfill somewhere? I know on the continent they're very careful to recover as much wood, re-useable rubble, etc. as they can, but somehow I doubt all the 'greener than thou' skip ads on the radio these days...

It was the driver that informed me that they do the segregation at their site before disposal / recycle. So it was not a marketing campaign. I do believe the driver.

ANC - dont worry about it, obviously they have to give you the official line regarding one foot over. but in the end if it is packed well and failry secure there should be no problem with them taking it away.

packing it up the sides is the norm and it is easier for them to load it up than start taking things out of it.

try greenstar decent price around 300 and good customer service

Thanks Jo90, i'll try greenstar so - they're all around the same price anyway.

Thought I was being ripped off at 240 for a skip in Kilkenny !

No signed agreement or anything and the driver actually advised us on how to fill the skip to get more in !

Used €200 for the Saturday special. Very handy, online booking, delivered at 7.30am picked up two hours after ringing for collection. Piled high and not a murmur.

Hired one from a crowd in midleton in cork last year. Thought i'd put a fair amount in ( up to the level of the sides of the skip). Driver came to collect and asked why i'd only half filled it! Said if I wanted another one sometime to tell them that and I would get it cheaper next time !!

Ashgrove in Cork are great on price and have an EPA Licensed Sorting Facility to ensure that the waste is segregated and recycled.

Back