Dunnes Stores Toys ad

Ciaraella

The current ad for discounted toys in Dunnes goes something like this (i'm paraphrasing)

'cars and bikes for boys, pretty dolls and make up for girls',

Personally I hate when political correctness is taken too far but i thought it was strange for an ad to be so pointed about who the toys were aimed at, as in was it necessary to point out which toys would be for boys or girls?

Great I say! Screw this whole PC oversensitivity crap........... toy solders for boys & prams for girls......go for it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the copy-writers for the Dunnes ad were thinking when they wrote that one.

It may well be true that girls play with dolls and and boys play with soldiers (in general) but I think it's fair to say that most parents and others buying presents for kids know roughly what to get. Sure, weren't we all little boys *or* girls at one stage . . .

z

Am I right in thinking though that the 'such and such for such and such' has kind of been a slogan for Dunnes for years?

At least they said boys and girls and didn't call them baby goats, sorry, kids, I see even our President has a website aimed at baby goats, sorry, kids !!!!

[broken link removed]

I have to say I don't like the ad, I must be one of those awful PC people!

In my case I always ended up playing with the cool trucks and cars my brother got at Christmas time, and hated dolls and the other typical girlie toys.

I hate to see children of either gender being pushed towards things just because they happen to have certain physical characteristics.

Who's pushing anyone? Its only an ad!

What's next? Banning "and all because the lady loves Milk Tray"? :mad:

What's next? Banning "and all because the lady loves Milk Tray"? :mad:

Don't see why not - I for one feel psychologically damaged by the unrealistic and unattainable specimen of maleness presented in these adverts.

They should have some disheveled, sweating eejit tripping himself up to buy a discounted, damaged box from a petrol station just before they close.

Who's pushing anyone? Its only an ad!

The ad is continuing the nonsense that girls should play with makeup and dolls, and boys should play with cars and ne'er the twain shall meet!

(Actually even the woman's voice in the ad is very annoying now I think of it.)

They should have some disheveled, sweating eejit tripping himself up to buy a discounted, damaged box from a petrol station just before they close.

Now that would be a more realistic ad!

The ad is continuing the nonsense that girls should play with makeup and dolls, and boys should play with cars and ne'er the twain shall meet!

Maybe. On the other hand, maybe its only reflecting the reality that many girls like to play with makeup and dolls and many boys like to play with cars?

Back