Bad Tarmac Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolodd

Hi
We have recently got tarmac around our house and the weeds started coming through after about four weeks. We have tried to contact the guy who did it and at the start he kept saying he would be back to fix it. He now wont answer his phone. Have we any comeback do you think. We have his advertising leaflet with two mobile numbers and a landline but there is no address. We paid E5,500 to get it done, dont know what to do now but I dont want him to get away with it and for it to happen to anyone else. I'm new to this website so I dont know whether I can name the company or not. Any advice welcome.

Last summer I worked in an advertising directory and the vast majority of complaints received were about shoddy tarmac/driveway contractors. They seem to be notorious for doing bad work and then disappearing. They seem to be virtually impossible to track down once the job is done and they will never give addresses so disgruntled customers can't find them.

there is some pod casts on the joe duffy show all about them,, i had them 'seal my parents roof last year, with paint all for 1900e , they wanted 2500e,,
anyhow to cut a long story short,, another crown were coming to do the tarmac,, i waited for them ,, had the gate locked,, tokk pics of them when they arrived in the UK reg truck,, asked them to see their C2 cert for carrying out this work,, they left sharpish,, went to the guards and of course a false number plate on truck,, !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. The guy that called was in a van and the name of there company was on both sides of the van and their equipment had the company name printed on it as well even though it didnt look great. Do you think I'd be wasting my time trying to track him down, is there any point. Its just that it makes me so mad the amount of money we paid him.

Unless you had some kind of written contract with him that specified a certain depth of a certain mix of tarmac than I think you will waste a lot of time, energy and money - if you decide to go legal - chasing this guy with probably poor results.

Do a little research and see if you think you can persuade him to do something to protect his reputation. If he has a company and is worried about the threat of the Joe Duffy show etc you might get a result.

PS for anyone else thinking of getting Tarmac done I re iterate the other posters warnings.

Lot of total cowboys in the game - so before you hire someone check them out including that they have a premises, reputation etc. Check references and get them to sign a contract with you for what they propose to provide for the money.

Good Luck

Folks

I have deleted the posts with anti-traveller comments on this thread.

Make your points and tell your stories without such abuse.

The advice is very simple - don't let people do jobs around your house if you don't know them. It doesn't matter whether they are settled or travellers.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back