Car service

Mymoney

Does anyone know where in the Dun Laoghaire region where one can get a 28000 mile service on a Skoda 1.2 Fabia for less than E220.00.? Many thanks in advance.mymoney.

I take it 220 is the main Skoda dealer price? I'm not in Dun Laoghaire, but any decent independent garage should save you nearly half that for what is essentially an oil change and inspection service. They may even have the diagnostic equipment to check the ECU.

I would be interested to gear as well, have a 02 1.4 Fabia with 33k on the clock, and have a few warning lights on, have tries 2 skoda dealers and the cheapest quote is 300+vat for service plus 48+vat for pre NCT test, and the other was also coming in around 400 incl of vat. Antone know somewhere that has the diagnostic equipment and that would be cheaper than the above two, am looking to sell after service and NCT so would like to save every penny. I am in Terenure but if the price is right and they can servie and identify/rectify the issues with the warning lights would travel a few miles.

Some Skoda dealers are doing a special service price of €99 all in for an oil change and inspection service. After that it's up to you what parts to replace if you want.
Might give them a bell around and see?

Thank you Mr.2,I did as you suggested and got some surprising results.......higher than E220.00 and to beat the band E75.00 for oil change, filter and cancelling service warning light. The garage is in the Dalkey area and comes well recommended.Thanks again for help. mymoney.

MRMoney - did you get a lower price for your service, or was it higher than the 220?

Dear Cloughy,sorry I was not too clear;E75.00 is the charge for oil,filter,turning off service light and labour.mymoney

Try the Advanced Pitstop in Monkstown. Call them with the recommended service and ask them for a quote before you go.

And no, I'm not affiliated with Advanced Pitstop!

Changing oil is so easy -

1. unscrew a nut and the oil spills out into a tub

2. unscrew oil filter and discard

3. Replace new oil filter - put a little new oil on the threads before u screw it on to the engine

4. replace the sump nut and fill the car up with oil.

20 mins.

plugs are simply unscrew old one one at a time as u might get leads mixed up. replace each plug with new spark plug. again put a little oil on the threads to ensure easy connection to the engine.

air filter - unsnap the casing lift out old air filter and place new one in and resnap the plastic casing.

fuel filter. there is an inlet and an outlet and basically the petrol goes in one end and out the other and is filtered. unclamp both ends and reclamp new filter. take care to c which is the inlet end and outlet end.

I do my own - i did brakes before - a little tricky for the novice so I now get them done by a mechanic.

I do the above service in about 1hour and i am not a mechanic - materials cost me about €45 in my local motor factors. Many services will not do all of above every service.

This €300 business is rip off republic at its best.

And all this computer techno stuff is nonesense. They only use the diagnostic equipment if there is a problem with the car - My cousin is a mechanic and also teaches in FAS has verified this for me....

Dealships take the mickey - they even charge something like €5 to top up the window wiper water......I'd say they wud love to charge u for going in and lookin at the cars...

If u don't want to get your hands dirty fair enough but do shop around.... €75 seems very reasonable...

I was thinking about getting my girlfriends car serviced.....She has a 1.4 1996 polo at present....There is a problem when she is driving, the engine cuts out......Is it anything to do with the fuel filter....In order to change a fuel filter do you need to depressurise the system.....I know nothing about cars.....just heard this from a friend. How much would it cost.

A car cutting out? Could be alot of things I'm sure.

My Dads old Golf many years ago was cutting out and it turned out that a blown fuse was all that was wrong with it...

I don't depressurise when I am changing the fuel filter but my car is a Nissan - I didn't do it in my wife's old Punto. But maybe - maybe the Polo is more complicated!!!!

From my experience I generally do the basics and more often than not the problems are solved..

Check the spark plug leads are fixed securely on the plugs. They can slip off and this would effect the cars performance -

dirty petrol would no doubt make the car splutter and a new filter should address this problem...

I am not a mechanic so my ideas are just lay guesses. Every car seems to have an Achilles heal so a phone call to a VW dealership they might b able to nail the problem for u or if u know another polo owner ask him/her.

Try googling u r problem and u may hit a polo owners chat room who have addressed this issue..

If u hav to find a good mechanic who fees are fair and best of luck..

Back