Castro steps down.

Purple

Fidel Castro, the totalitarian dictator of Cuba, has stepped down. The secret police and other apparatus of his oppressive police state are still in place. There is still no freedom of the press and people are still afraid to publicly criticise their glorious government.
I was in Cuba a few years ago and underneath the smiles and the sunshine there was an undercurrent of real fear. It was next to impossible to engage people in conversation about their past and their concerns for the future. The few people who did speak did so in hushed tones in quite corners.
So why is it that this morning on RTE, and I am sure it's the same in the rest of the left wing media, Castro was referred to as the Cuban President and the Cuban head of state? Why was he not referred to as one of the last Marxist dictators? Why was nothing said about his oppressive regime? I know that RTE in particular and the Irish media in general are very anti-American but there is no excuse for the way in which they hero worship this violent and oppressive man.

News reporting should be neutral (as possible), just reporting the facts.

Its probably 'cute hoor fence' sitting in order to confuse everyone.
This country could never be accused of being anti American. Look at the reality. Without America the economy would be totally different and also without American help from relatives who made their fortunes there we possibly still would be a colonial backwater (sorry not a rant but just a background commentary).
Now look at the present reality of American army planes that are landing in Ireland. If the media throws out the odd smokescreen in the interests of free interpretation then who cares ? I am sure its politically motivated. Why make an enemy of a country by disrespecting their leaders? Its' none of our business what kind of government anyone else has. Even if they were a democracy we still wouldn't have a vote over there. Its' only words. Actions are the only thing that counts. If we have friendly relations with Cuba and this is how they wish to be addressed then why cause problems for ourselves or them? Being a small country ourselves our best international role is to be the friend of everyone and encourage more openness and communication between more powerful countries. Start namecalling the respected leaders of other countries and then governments will start to mistrust each other, our citizens will be less safe while abroad and the world will start to close up. Given our reputation for friendliness , if a country wont talk with the Irish then theres no hope for them to talk with anyone else. Thats my view anyway.

Heads of State are usually given their proper title in the media. 'President' Musharraf for example.

Fidel Castor, the totalitarian dictator of Cuba, has stepped down. The secret police and other apparatus of his oppressive police state are still in place. There is still no freedom of the press and people are still afraid to publicly criticise their glorious government.
I was in Cuba a few years ago and underneath the smiles and the sunshine there was an undercurrent of real fear. It was next to impossible to engage people in conversation about their past and their concerns for the future. The few people who did speak did so in hushed tones in quite corners.
So why is it that this morning on RTE, and I am sure it's the same in the rest of the left wing media, Castro was referred to as the Cuban President and the Cuban head of state? Why was he not referred to as one of the last Marxist dictators? Why was nothing said about his oppressive regime? I know that RTE in particular and the Irish media in general are very anti-American but there is no excuse for the way in which they hero worship this violent and oppressive man.

Well said. What else would you expect from the left-wing RTE though ?

Musharraf & Castro gone.........bad day for dictators. Good ridance to bad rubbish.

So why is it that this morning on RTE, and I am sure it's the same in the rest of the left wing media, Castro was referred to as the Cuban President and the Cuban head of state? Why was he not referred to as one of the last Marxist dictators? Why was nothing said about his oppressive regime?

Whilst I certainly have no admiration or respect for Castro, I agree that heads of state should be given their "functioning" title (whether it's deserved or not) - it's just a convention that gives at least the semblance of balanced reporting.

I know that RTE in particular and the Irish media in general are very anti-American but there is no excuse for the way in which they hero worship this violent and oppressive man

I agree that RTE tend towards anti American sentiment - but hero worship?! I''ve never seen or heard anything that would come even close to this.

I am no expert on Cuba. However, their statistics for literacy, medical care, life expectancy and infant mortality are impressive and the oppression and censorship do, I suppose, need to be viewed in the context of this being a country which has, in essence, been on a war footing for more than 40 years.

I rather hope that the significant achievements in education will, in and of themselves, ultimately be the biggest factor in moving Cuba toward and open and participatory democracy. I think Cuba is right to mistrust the US. I think that increased US cultural, political and economic influence is one of the biggest hazards which Cuban society faces in the years ahead. This is not particularly a criticism of the US (though some of its policies and actions in relation to Cuba and indeed much of Latin America are certainly open to criticism). Rather, it reflects my view that it is very difficult indeed for any small country to deal with a large and powerful neighbour on terms other than those dictated by the neighbour, which is entirely what one would expect given the disparity in size and power. It goes without saying (but perhaps I had better say it, just the same!) that there are likewise countries who have to deal on very unequal terms with Russia and China.

If I had to live in a country a big powerful neighbour, I would still pick the US over the other two. I rather suspect that some in our media might indeed choose otherwise - or worse, that - if push came to shove - they would choose the US for themselves, and yet voice the opinion that it is the worst option for Cubans.

If and when Cuba becomes 'open' to Americans (and Americans are no longer treated with suspicion because of a Cuban stamp on their passport) I think there will be an influx of relatively rich Americans buying up property in Cuba for pittance and becoming rather like the Costas in Spain.
Not a good thought.

If the US get control of the entire island of Cuba then they'd be able to increase the size of Guantánamo and put all the worlds terrorists in there. Yay!

I am no expert on Cuba. However, their statistics for literacy, medical care, life expectancy and infant mortality are impressive .

I wouldn't exactly trust statistics provided by a Communist regime - they haven't been known for accuracy in their statistical reporting in other places around the world...

the oppression and censorship do, I suppose, need to be viewed in the context of this being a country which has, in essence, been on a war footing for more than 40 years.

South Korea has been on a war footing for the last 50 years and yet does not oppress and censor. West Germany was on a war footing for 45 years and never felt the need to oppress and censor. Taiwan is still on a war footing and does not censor or oppress. Yet strangely their respective Communist enemies felt and feel the need, for 'security reasons' to oppress and censor...

I rather hope that the significant achievements in education will, in and of themselves, ultimately be the biggest factor in moving Cuba toward and open and participatory democracy.

If they are so well educated how come they haven't managed to lift themselves out of poverty in the last half-century?

I think Cuba is right to mistrust the US. I think that increased US cultural, political and economic influence is one of the biggest hazards which Cuban society faces in the years ahead.

Far from American cultural and economic influence being the biggest threat to Cuba in the future, I would have thought a bigger threat by far was the lack of basic human rights, extreme poverty, grinding malnutrition, and lack of democracy. Cuba undoubtedly needs more, not less, American cultural and economic influence.

If I had to live in a country a big powerful neighbour, I would still pick the US over the other two.

Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=580653#post580653
I am no expert on Cuba. However, their statistics for literacy, medical care, life expectancy and infant mortality are impressive .

I wouldn't exactly trust statistics provided by a Communist regime - they haven't been known for accuracy in their statistical reporting in other places around the world...

Fully agree, doesnt add up considering the dire poverty most of its inhabitants live in. I'd put these claims in the same category as North Korea claiming that alls its inhabitants are well fed and happy.

Do you trust information provided by a capitalist regime?

Do you trust information provided by a capitalist regime?
It's not about Communist or capitalist, it's communist or free. There are no free communist countries and there never have been. Communism is a totalitarian doctrine, capitalism is an economic system.

It's not about Communist or capitalist, it's communist or free.
True freedom is anarchy.
Tell all the wage slaves that they are free (and they'll probably believe you).

True freedom is anarchy.
Tell all the wage slaves that they are free (and they'll probably believe you).

That's a childish argument. The "wage slaves" are free to choose how they live their life. This is not the case in a communist country.

That's a childish argument. The "wage slaves" are free to choose how they live their life.

In a free society, people are free to live their lives however they like. Unfortunately, other people will always interfere and want more than their fair share. This results in some people impinging on the rights of others.

My point is that there is no true free society, capitalist, or communist. The 'wage slaves' in my example above might like (for example) to run their own company, but they mightn't be clever enough, or know the 'right' people, or have enough money etc. In other words, they are far from free.

Society has many mechanisms to promote the illusion of freedom.

In a free society, people are free to live their lives however they like. Unfortunately, other people will always interfere and want more than their fair share. This results in some people impinging on the rights of others.

My point is that there is no true free society, capitalist, or communist.
OK but in a liberal democracy with small government is the model that offers the maximum freedom.

The 'wage slaves' in my example above might like (for example) to run their own company, but they mightn't be clever enough, or know the 'right' people, or have enough money etc. In other words, they are far from free.

Society has many mechanisms to promote the illusion of freedom.
No, they are still free. The only limit they have is their own ability (or lack of).

Back