Play.com and VAT

All of this helps Amazon.co.uk who coincidentally now have a centre here and post from Ireland.

I recently ordered a load of books from amazon.co.uk and this comment confirms what I suspected. I got a mail confirming despatch of my order using An Post - but why am I being charged the higher "Western Europe" delivery charges of £3.99 + 99p per extra book (UK rates are £2.16 + 59p) for deliveries that are despatched from Ireland??? Surely it should be regarded as a domestic delivery and therefore charged at domestic rates?

Has anyone else considered this and tackled Amazon on it?

Ordered DVDs on Play over a month ago now, all in or around 45 euro, still haven't received them or any notification from An Post regarding any dues.

Does anyone have a phone number to contact re sorting this out? Getting too close to Christmas for comfort..........

if VAT & Customs is due on it, it may be stuck in the postal system somewhere.

A parcel I got from amazon.com showed as stamped by (Irish) Customs on 7th November, I received it 3 weeks later.

I order a lot from Play.com and Playusa.com and up to recently I had no problmes, now several items are just "stuck somewhere".

However I always make sure I'm below 22€ which according to revenue is the limit.

As per revenue ([broken link removed])

Goods of Negligible Value
Packages, other than those containing tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic products, perfumes or toilet waters with a value of €22 regardless of status (for private or commercial use) are admitted free of customs duty and VAT under the scheme commonly known as "small packages" relief.

I have no problem paying VAT/Duty if I buy something larger but for small packages, the rules are clear, so if I have to stick to them, AnPost and Revenue must too.

I recently ordered a load of books from amazon.co.uk and this comment confirms what I suspected. I got a mail confirming despatch of my order using An Post - but why am I being charged the higher "Western Europe" delivery charges of £3.99 + 99p per extra book (UK rates are £2.16 + 59p) for deliveries that are despatched from Ireland??? Surely it should be regarded as a domestic delivery and therefore charged at domestic rates?

Has anyone else considered this and tackled Amazon on it?

Amazon do not have a distribution centre in Ireland. The items are freighted directly into An Post by Amazon and then and only then do they enter the Postal network. There is a cost in this and that is why the delivery charge is no cheaper. This is quite a standard procedure for many UK mail order companies including; Oxendales, Family Album, and was also the case for the Book Club of Ireland when in operation.
An Post do not have any part in Customs procedures or the application of the laws. Customs do waht Customs do and everyone has to wait.

Ordered DVDs on Play over a month ago now, all in or around 45 euro, still haven't received them or any notification from An Post regarding any dues.

Does anyone have a phone number to contact re sorting this out? Getting too close to Christmas for comfort..........

:eek: I ordered piles of stuff from Play less than a week ago.....if you haven't got yours yet then mine will probably arrive in March. What was I thinking of?

Save it :eek:.

Save your love my darling, save your love
For summer nights with moon and stars above
A serenade I long to sing you
The reddest rose I'll always bring you
Save your love for Roma and for me

;)

Guys, I had the same problem and if you need to contact them from Ireland give this number a go 00441534877595

You can send it back and they will refund you, save you getting the tax sting. Once refunded just get it somewhere else

Cheers

The missing DVD's have popped up as refunded in my order history.

Received nothing from an Post seems like they just went back.

Out into the beautiful weather now to hunt down a replacement pressie, the joys.....

:eek: I ordered piles of stuff from Play less than a week ago.....if you haven't got yours yet then mine will probably arrive in March. What was I thinking of?

Phew, the stuff has begun to arrive, all in separate packets. Looking good.

just got my dvd set, it was sent on 2/12...took roughly 13 days, must have got checked but there was no custom notice. will definitely watch it next time for anything over 22 quid.

Ordered some books and CD's from 5th Dec onwards and started to arrive there on Wed. so about a week turnaround, not bad. As per previous posters, all items came separate even though I ordered in one transaction...all good tho!

I got some DVDs that I ordered last week in the post today from Play.com. It states on the separate packages "import VAT pre-paid" and gives an authorisation number.

Marion

If at all possible get any purchases delivered to your workplace.
Packages going to a business do not arouse the same degree of suspicion.

Back