Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[broken link removed]

we will not purchase houses in areas where to do so would exacerbate an existing social imbalance.
Oh really!!!

Dear Clubman It's about time someone did intervene in the market. There are many areas of life where the market should be constrained. There is a public and ethical aspect to housing and the rights of all citizens to have a roof over their head. Our Goverment has been abysmal in this regard and are happy to let the market rip while they cream their take off of the proceeds.

here is a public and ethical aspect to housing and the rights of all citizens to have a roof over their head.
In fairness tadgh there are not too many citizens who don't have a roof over their heads.
Certainly the general sentiment on this thread is that there are more than enough vacancies in the rental market to ensure all citizens have the opportunity to have a roof over their heads.

That I very much doubt - presumably Intel, in common with any other US multinational based here use Ireland to book all (or virtually all) of their EU profits, thus saving billions in tax.
Of course said fact has not escaped the attention of other governments (EU and US), and they are looking to close those tax loopholes. Not to mention other countries copping on to what we did and doing it themselves.

In fairness tadgh there are not too many citizens who don't have a roof over their heads.
Certainly the general sentiment on this thread is that there are more than enough vacancies in the rental market to ensure all citizens have the opportunity to have a roof over their heads.
Well in fairness why should anyone have to rent when there are 275,000 homes sitting empty around the country, not even rented? Property speculation should be discouraged in the strongest terms; it removes a basic human need in order to line the pockets of a few people. Like cornering the market in a particular kind of medicine.

From the Irish Independent today:

"Sell, sell, sell, estate agents tell property investors"
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1682160&issue_id=14600

"With rising interest rates and concerns that the property market may finally be beginning to slow, some investors are opting out of the market. "

...it's refreshing to see articles that reflect a realistic state of market.

Call me crazy, but they quote one nameless property investor. Are they lifting the quote directly from this thread?!

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=269023

Edited to add quote:

when I mentioned to 2 EA relatives of mine that I was planning on selling my invest property I was expecting the usual 'are you mad? don't ever sell property' response.

Irish indo article:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]'...relatives who work as estate agents advised him to sell. "I was expecting the usual 'Are you mad? Don't ever sell property' response," he said.'[/FONT]

I'm not crazy! Compare! They're lifting the news from this thread...

Last edited:
I wonder are the incredible amount of bearish reports coming from the Irish Independent a sly dig at the Irish Times, who are now wedded to the property market? Perhaps I am being too cynical and it is really just refreshingly honest reporting.

It does read like it was lifted from this thread though.

I wonder are the incredible amount of bearish reports coming from the Irish Independent a sly dig at the Irish Times, who are now wedded to the property market?

Could be, or maybe the Irish Independent reports are to balance the excessive amount of vested interest spin that's been coming out of the Irish Times since they bought myhome.ie

Call me crazy, but they quote one nameless property investor. Are they lifting the quote directly from this thread?!

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=269023

Edited to add quote:

Irish indo article:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]'...relatives who work as estate agents advised him to sell. "I was expecting the usual 'Are you mad? Don't ever sell property' response," he said.'[/FONT]

I'm not crazy! Compare! They're lifting the news from this thread...

The cheeky beggars!!

The Irish Times seems to have adopted a 'head resolutely buried in the sand approach' lifting its head occasionally to utter some panglossian, Goldilocks gibberish. So comparing the Indo's coverage to the IT's makes the Indo seem uber bearish I guess.

The Irish Times seems to have adopted a 'head resolutely buried in the sand approach' lifting its head occasionally to utter some panglossian, Goldilocks gibberish. So comparing the Indo's coverage to the IT's makes the Indo seem uber bearish I guess.

'Uber bearish'...I think it was last week that people on this thread were calling the Indo a rag and sneering at it's content. They also asked who would read a paper like the Indo. Sneering at the types if you know what I mean.

I seriously doubt the IT would manipulate reporting property news just because they own MyHome. If there's a rush to the market then they're quids in???

When I read that the Indo appeared to be copying the content of this thread, I was glad to be honest, because I thought I was going crazy, or experiencing deja vu! I'd swear the BP is doing the same thing.

Therefore these articles are not so much an indictment on the property market, rather an indictment of the low level of journalism!! When a journalist can't do his/her own investigative reporting, without resorting to quoting a thread such as this, then it's just another person's opinion as far as I'm concerned and shouldn't be reported as research/news. Shame on the Indo.

The cheeky beggars!!

I could insert my usual strong caveats about the "Quality" of Irish Business and Property Journalism in here but I am imminently threatened with a permanent ban from AAM by the Mods if I say anything about any Irish journalist on this Board .

Hopefully some kind soul may say for me that which I am only allowed to think of privately in future.

In order tro do so they must repudiate tax treaties. This is permissible however only after 5 years notice is given which has not happened yet .

See article 30 of the USA-Ireland Tax treaty for example.

http://www.unclefed.com/ForTaxProfs/Treaties/ireland.pdf

Nope, thats only 6 months notice they need to give, but they can only give it after the first five years of the treaty have passed. Seeing that it was signed in 1997, they can change it any time they feel like. And even if they don't change it, there are many other ways they can censure companies that they feel are hiding profits from the taxman. Which they are, in all honesty.

Therefore these articles are not so much an indictment on the property market, rather an indictment of the low level of journalism!!

Yes, it's very lame journalism. One must assume (given BigM's response!) that they didn't even call to confirm the quote or the information.

More interesting though is that many people have pointed out that despite how popular this thread is on here, it's still got a very limited readership. Now that one of the posts has essentially been transferred to the Indo (and however many more people read it on unison.ie without buying the paper) - the audience has just got a lot wider.

The September Selling Season Opens with a REAL Bang

lots and lots and lots of new listings here

lots since friday lest one ask :D

Re: The September Selling Season Opens with a REAL Bang

lots and lots and lots of new listings here

lots since friday lest one ask :D

There's a hell of a lot of property coming on the market, far more than in the Spring...and a lot of supply from last season still hasn't sold.

Also - asking prices don't appear to have risen between the seasons - even with new builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back