Garmin Quest SatNav ... any good?

ssnrcs

Hi

Wondering if anyone has experiece of using Garmin Quest SatNav system. Good deal going in Halfords... need system for driving holiday in UK & France.

I'd also be interested to know about these. Aparantly lots of the mapping companies have crappy coverage of Ireland, apart from one, can;t think who it is though

Garmin's coverage of Ireland is limited to: "Blackrock, Bray, Cahereiveen, Cork, County Kerry, Dublin, Galway, Glenageary, Greystones, Kilarney, Limerick, Lucan, Malahide, Waterford, Wichlow"

Garmin have the best maps for Ireland. From what I can tell Ireland has now been "fully" mapped and the mapping companies, like Garmin, will introduce updated maps soon.

Their maps for UK and France will be as good as any you can get.

Make sure you buy the right system for you. There are loads out there and all are different in some way. I peronally didn't like the interface for the Quest systems. Aren't you forced to enter a specfic destination... rather than just pointing to somewhere on a map?

I have a Navman 510 which is excellent until i go to ireland. When i get of the ferry in Dublin it will tell me what door number i am driving past but through the midwest and into galway it asks me to proceed to the nearest road thinking i am driving through a field or something. May improve when ireland gets its postcodes. But as a piece of equip it is quite good. Garmins not rated that highly over in Engerland. Loaned it to work colleague for French road trip and he was quite happy going from Paris to perpignan with it.

i have the garmin streetpilot - about 250 euro - navteq maps, no probs anywhere ive gone in ireland and they arent the latest maps which are not yet available. even knows the house numbers in dublin anyway!

Dont have a Quest but I researched a lot on the web and in shops and ended up getting a Garmin Nuvi 300 a few weeks ago. (a little under €400)
New on the market. Cant say enough good things about it.
Very portable, literally fits in my shirt pocket, important for these items as they are the too tempting to leave in the car.
It is very easy to use.
Includes maps for Ireland and the UK. They use Navtech maps from Navteq, these are widely accepted as being the best for Ire, UK and Europe.

It also plays MP3s, audio-books, has various converters and a calculator. Travel guides, further maps and language assistance packages can be purchased on SD cards.

Cant wait for the holls!:)

Have a garmin streetpilot c320 from Amazon.co.uk at good price. Came installed with up to date City Select Europe maps early last year and is great for city driving. However new roads such as the carrickmines m50 section is not on it and as far as I know no update is available yet. The updates will I understand cost extra when they are released.

Hi Lozzz
I would be interested in buying a Garmin Nuvi 300 was it bought online or here?

franmac said:
Hi Lozzz
I would be interested in buying a Garmin Nuvi 300 was it bought online or here?

Fran, we bought ours over the net from [broken link removed] in the UK for £268. That's about €400 and €150+ cheaper than the high street here (as far as I could see)
It was within a few pounds of the cheapest I could see after a lot of searching. We had used Dabs before and so have some of my friends so that gave me the confidence to proceed. Took about a week to arrive.
We are going to hold off registering the unit on the net until we see Garmin selling the new detailed maps of Ireland as I understand one is entitled to a free upgrade to the newest maps upon registering.

Back