Reids Furniture won't deliver above 1st Floor

macshaned

Purchased new sofa from them for a sitting room on the 2nd floor of a new development.

It was never questioned when purchased where the sofa was to be used - 2nd floor, no lift, 2 flights of stairs to access. No restrictions on delivery mentioned at all.

Yet, when it comes to delivery last week, I've been told by their delivery company, "we don't deliver furniture above the 1st floor. You'll have to follow up with your sales person". This was confirmed by 2 different sales people, and the store manager.

I'm still going around the houses (not literally!!!) with them at the moment to find out what's going on, and how this is going to be resolved.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same difficulty with Reids Furniture. And what was the solution?

Did you sign an order form which confirmed delivery to a specific address (i.e. your apartment number)? If there is no mention of the 2nd floor restriction on the form, I'd push them fairly hard to solve the problem themselves.

Agree with Rainyday, but what's the worst that can happen if they just deliver to the ground floor? Surely a couple of mates would oblige and lend their help for 30 mins?

Is this building not wheelchair accessible, will the sofa fit into the lift (vertically)?

Did you actually have to pay for delivery? If so, I guess I would fight them harder on it.

There is no lift, so that isn't an option.

We bought a bed off them and had it delivered on wednesday, but it was delivered by silent night and not actually reids to the 2nd floor in an apartment block with no lift.... they even had to carry it in from the road as the security guard wouldn't let them drive into the courtyard but surprisingly we had no hastle from the delivery guys.

That's ridiculous in my opinion. Unless you were made aware of this restriction prior to purchase I'd cancel the order and buy somewhere else if they won't deliver. I am sure if there was a problem with the delivery of your money they'd be quick enough to let you know! There must be thousands of addresses above 1st floor level..........whatever happened to customer service!

MPH said:
I am sure if there was a problem with the delivery of your money they'd be quick enough to let you know! There must be thousands of addresses above 1st floor level..........whatever happened to customer service!

Reids Furniture work on the basis that they will only consider delivering your furniture once they have all of your money. So they have you over a barrell before you even start.

It was my misfortune (in a way), that the sofa I purchased from them was the exact kind I'd been searching for for nearly a year. So in order to get the sofa I want, I have to put up with their ridiculous terms and conditions.

MPH said:
whatever happened to customer service!

Don't get me started on this. After being shunted pillar to post within the store itself, Blanch, the manager there told me it was escalated to the Logistics Manager in head office. He knew all about the issue and was/would be liasing between the delivery people, the store and myself.

The store manager must be a bit slow, because I asked and received the name and contact details for this Logistics Manager, whom I called immediately after.

Low and behold, Logistics Manager had heard nothing at all about what was going on. But fair play to him, he got all the details of what had gone on, and has committed to sorting the issue out this week. We'll see what happens now.

I had the same problem with B&Q before. And we have a lift!!! They would only deliver the many boxes of wooen floor to the main entrance. I had to get it all in myself cos he was at work! A fun morning!! Rang to complain but didn't get much response from them

Result

Sofa delivered. As it turned out, the last couple of feet through sitting room door prevented delivery full-stop.

A friendly forklift driver helped get the thing through 2nd floor balcony double doors.

So the delivery guys didn't have to carry thing up any flight of stairs.

It's very unfortunate for Reids Furniture really. All of the backroom people I've dealt with have been fantastic. It's a pity about their front of house people in Blanchardstown. Won't be purchasing from there again.

tell them you are about to contact your credit card company to get the money back for the furniture that they have not delivered to you and that you will be buying elsewhere.

I had the misfortune to buy from Reids last year. Customer service was appalling. Will never darken their door again!

Back