Airlines to New York

mohenley

Hi

I am planning on going to New York for a week in mid October. I have flown previously with Aer Lingus but they are very expensive. The alternatives is Delta and Continental of which Delta is the cheapest. Does anyone have any experience in flying with either Delta or Continetal and which one would be better?

Also does anyone know if airlines drop the prices - just wondering if i should hang on for few weeks in case they put a promotion on? Thanks!

I flew continental earlier this year into Newark and it was fine. Thought no better or worse than aer lingus but was cheaper.
Flew to Newark which was a lot quieter than JFK and we used public transport to get into NY easy enough and about 15 dollars.

thanks all,

planning on flying the 9th oct and back on 14th and delta is the cheapest at €400 - just concerned about the airline and reliability as never flown before. Don't mind flying into JFK as going to see family so will be picked up.

Delta are one of the longest established airlines flying TransAtlantic. I have flown close to 100 Delta flights, internally in the US and from here and they are my airline of choice. Absolutely nothing to fear.

I gave up flying Aer Lingus years ago and have never looked back. Continental fly narrow bodied planes with a single aisle and 3 seats each side. Delta have some but for most of the year fly double aisled aircraft with 2-4-2 or 2-3-2 formations. Much more civilised IMO.

thanks all, my concern was around flight delays. i have heard in the past that they tend to not run on time

I have used all Aer Lingus, Delta and Continental traveling to from Ireland to New York, and to be honest there is very little difference between the 3 of them, so if came down to it I usually pick the best offer. There was a very interesting article in the NY Times about 2 weeks ago regarding what an American carriers obligations are to passengers versus European airlines.
This really only applies if there is a big delay.
http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/travel/18prac.html

Last edited:
Continental fly narrow bodied planes with a single aisle and 3 seats each side.

An another thread I posted some time ago, this is one reason why I prefer AL into JFK even though Newark suits me better. There is a better onboard entertainment system with AL plus frequent flyer points.

Only flown Delta twice before and found them fine.

We flew to NY earlier this year and, at the time, the cheapest option was Virgin : Dub-London-NY, NY-London-Dub.

The extra travelling time was a little inconvenient but we saved a few hundred euro between us (which was duly spent on a nicer hotel than first planned, shows/outings and shopping of course!).

Have flown between USA and Ireland with Continental, Delta and Aer Lingus. No problems with either Delta or Aer Lingus; I would have no problems flying transatlantic with them again. Continental were ok but the legroom was poor and I am fairly average height

I've flown over 100 Delta sectors and only once had my bags delayed (we had a very tight connection and our connecting flight was brought forward) and they made it on to the next flight. So..touch wood..I have to disagree with the last poster!

Ah! Come on, it's just a joke. The same as:
- SABENA: Such a bloody experience never again
- ALITALIA: Arrived Late In Turin, And Luggage In Australia
There are many like those :)

Back