Boxes and moving yourself

D

declan

Hi,
I plan to move house myself in the next month or so. I am hiring a van from Avis and plan to buy boxes and pack myself. Should work out at about 300 Euro. Has anyone tried this themselves? How did it go.

Also, does anyone know a good way of getting plenty of boxes and bubble wrap to actually do the move.

Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks,
Declan.

You're not selling your old house through Remax by any chance? They might have a van that you can use for free. EUR 300 sounds a bit dear, before I got the free van I'm sure I got a quote of less than EUR 150 for a Ford Transit.

I got a Ford Transit from Enterprise Rent A Van for €100. This was not the price they gave me over the phone but the one they have online; so asked for that price when I booked the van. They have smaller vans, if you don't have that much stuff. I then rented a few removal boxes made of sturdy plastic from HSS. Not sure what the price was for these, but it's not that expensive.

Actually I am selling my current house through remax. I was quoted a price of 132 Euro per day + 21% VAT + 40 euro Insurance. 100 miles allowance per day. 12 cents per extra mile. (only moving a few miles so shouldn't be an issue). That was from AVIS ([broken link removed]). 4th van from the left is what I planned on hiring.

who can you rent boxes from though and how much? Anyone any ideas?

This firm supplies a solid trailer( like a large horse box) and all the packing materials, then they come and tow it to you new location. Its lockable aqnd gives you a few days to pack

I found them great, ask for Richard

[broken link removed]

I was thinking of them originally but they are about 200 euro per trailer aren't they? so I would need 2 of them for a 4 semi D house + packaging material which they have for about 120 euro.

Total is about 520 then compared to about 320 if I hire a van and move myself.

So, it's really the packing material I would like to save on.

I did something similar recently, my sale was dragging on and I couldn't commit to removal companies. I rented a Transit at 90 per day from Thrifty near Dublin Airport. In the few weeks running up to the move I went to Hardware and Electrical stores for cardboard boxes. Since bin charges etc a lot of people are either not taking the packaging initially or returning it later.

I was advised the best time to hit these stores is on a Saturday afternoon before the boxes get crushed.

I found bubble wrap expensive- in both Band Q and Woodies- circa 20 euro a roll.

Anything that was irreplaceable like wedding photos crystal gifts etc, I stored with friends. Everything else I wrapped in newspaper/bubble wrap and threw in TV boxes.

Btw. Would you require a HGV driving license to drive that truck?

no according to the avis website you can drive that Van\truck with a B license.

the boxes are a bit small so you would need a lot. The largest is 8 cu. feet (2ft x 2ft x 2ft)

The courier firm we use also does light moving work (light as in high-roof Transit van) and we find them to be reasonable and reliable. Might be worth a call to see if the added benefit of an extra pair of hands and driver for the van would be worth it.

Des 086 3344777

Back