would you buy a house with no bath?

Baloney

would you buy house with no bath?
How much importance to people attach to having a bath in a house? Personally I haven't lived somewhere with a bath for over 10 years and I don't miss it.
We are getting our attic converted to a master bedroom with ensuite and are thinking about putting a shower bath in the ensuite instead of just a shower as there is only a shower in the main bathroom. The only reason for putting in a bath is that we are worried that when selling the house people would be put off by there being 2 bathrooms but no bath. We don't particularly want a bath for ourselves.
After the attic conversion it will be about 1000 sq foot 3 bedroom house. It is in Drumcondra. There is no room to put a bath in the main bathroom, it is actually smaller than the ensuite is going to be.
Any ideas/advice/opinions on how having a bath would affect future sale of house?

It is mainly people with children who want a bath. If there is no bath it will turn off that section of the market.
If the main market is single or young couples then a bath would be lower on the list that say 2 showers.

My house (completed this spring) came with an en-suite with shower - and NO shower in the main bathroom. I cant believe I missed it in the contract. They didnt even run cables to facilitate a retro fit. There needs to be minimum standards for this sort of thing.

I agree with Beldin. A bath is imperative if you have children. If you don't put one in, and want to sell in future, you'll cut down the market.

There is no way I would buy a house without a bath or at the least the space and plumbing necessary to install a bath. How would you wash children?

I have no children and no immediate plans to have any either and would NOT buy a house without a bath unless it appeared that I could easily have one installed.

I'd say put in a smaller size (cheapish) bath if you can fit it in the attic. As other posters say: children = baths, but can't imagine parents bringing their kids to the attic master bedroom to wash them though.

Depends on the house. Ours is three storey and when children were small, the bath was on the middle floor but their bedrooms were on top. Still had to walk up a flight of stairs with damp kids!!

Any dog owners would probably be keen on a bath too...

Last edited:
I had a friend in the same predicament as to whether to put in a bath or not.
From her informal poll, she decided she would be cutting off a lot of potential customers, if there was no bath.
For example in my family, every one of us would want a house with a bath for different reasons:
- brother : to wash kids
- parents : think showers are 'new-fangled' and prefer baths
- sister : prefers bath to relax in / soak feet etc
- me : to soak sports equipment (wet suits etc)

So I'd go for a small bath, or at least plumbing to make it very easy to retro-fit one.

Thanks everyone for the very useful replies! I think we will definitely try to squeeze a bath in now. Target audience would probably not be people with kids as there is no garden but I still think it would be well worth having a bath.

Another reason for having a bath for elderly and not so elderly gentlemen with prostate problems. If they have a enlarged prostate and find they cannot pass water it is recommended that they sit in a warm bath which is supposed to help. I wouldnt know me been of the opposited sex.

Before you go ahead with installing a bath in the attic conversion have you confirmed that the water pressure will take this? Have heard about people having problems with showers, toilets or baths in the attic.

Another problem with not having a bath is if anyone suffers with muscular pain they might need to relax in possibly a Radox bath to relieve it.

Back