France Mobile Home - La Garangeoire

Niallymac

Anyone stayed in this Castels site before ? We have been to La Grand Metairie in Carnac and loved it, and I like the look of this one, so any good/bad experiences appreciated ? We have 3 little uns 6/3/3 yrs old

Any other recomendations on good sites in France, not much further south than vendee as my penchant for French wine demands that i bring the car to liberate as many bottles as possible !

Yes I have stayed there twice. I came across it when staying at another site and visited friends who were there and was immediately hooked. There is a kids pool which is ideal for your kids ages and there is a very good restaurant on site (far better than a lot of the so called restaurants on other sites.) There is a chreche which operates during meal times beside the restaurant but children are more than welcome in the restaurant.
The campsite has a really good family athmosphere and it is well run. They really enforce the no noise at night rule which is a good thing as far as I am concerned having been on other camp sites where it is not.
I have children who are same age as yours and they really liked it. You can rent bikes there for the duration of your stay and two of my children learned to cycle without stabilisers there.
There is pony riding too which your 6 yr old could manage and a good playground.
You do the drive south from Roscoff easily in 6 hours including brakes.

There is a good chemist in the local town (St Julien des Landes) and a Super U Hypermarket about 10 minutes away (la mothe d'achard) and there is very good shopping and a McDonalds for the days you're tired of the Bar B Q in La Roche Sur Yon about twenty minutes away.

If you are going there take a trip to the Planet Suvage near Nantes ([broken link removed] ) You'll do the trip there quite quickly in the car and your children will really enjoy it as mine did. Its a safari park and its a gret way of spending a day when the weather mightn't be 100%. My 2 yr old in particular really enjoyed it. There is a good play area at the end.

Most people who go to The Garrangeoire go there year after year. We were there the past two years and will go back again in future years.

Last year it was infected with the Oak Procession Catepillar which seems to be all over France. The infestation seems to have taken place in May/June and by the time we got there (July) was supposedly under control. We were not affected during our stay but we met other holidaymakers who said they had got rashes from the catepillar hairs (the catepillars were gone but their hairs were apparently in the trees and when it rained the hairs came down on those below)
This is something that could have happened at any csmpsite and from what I heard last year measures have been put in place to ensure there is no reoccurance there.

Thanks Fred, much appreciated. I'd read about the caterpillars on a review I found. The Mrs is worried about that element, she has a tendency to attract all rashy things !

Niallymac - I'd say the chances of the catepillars being there this year are pretty low as they seemed very proactive last year in preventing a recurrance. You could find them on any campsite.
I would suggest if you are thinking of going there ring them up and say you heard the catepillars were there last year and see what they say.
Last year the weather - as it was in much of France - was mixed, but the previous year it was really hot. For the first week the temperature didn't drop below 30 degrees. Hopefully this year it'll be somewhere in between.

If you have any further questions let me know.

As you seem to know from your opening post Castels sites are very good and I'd certeinly recomend this one

Back