Clondalkin

Art

Any opinions on the Clondalkin area? AnY ideas on where is nice, safe and handy for transport links for town?

Hi Art,

Anywhere near the Luas is good (but is pretty costly as a result) - i.e. Moastery Gate etc. and any of the older/bigger houses along Monastery Road itself are also costly (but very nice and near the Luas).

There was good enough value to be had in the "Dutch Village" (Bottom of Woodford HIll and all along there) and that is a handy area as it's on a good bus route (51B + 51C etc.) and has the little shopping centre with Spar, pharmacy, off-licence etc. whilst still only being 10/15 mins to the Luas. Anywhere apart from there and you are confined to bus / drive but there are very good (i.e. frequeuent) buses with a caveat on the service though as it can occasionally be dodgy same as anywhere else!

The area itself has come on a lot over the past 5 years or so - traditionally it had a bad name but due to the reasonable value that was to be had in houses and it's proximity to the luas and good road links then as far as I can see it can only get better and to be honest I have never experienced any problems (nor have my 4 friends who have since moved into the area - we started to look in town then went further and further out............).

I like living there - the village has everything and once you mind yourself (same as anywhere else - lock your car and alarm your house, etc. etc.) then you should like it - there is a very good gaelscoil and good gaa and community groups etc. and lots of night classes and nice pubs. The tesco is pretty crap but a great Dunnes and Aldi too.

Let me know if you have any specific questions on a particular area & I'll do my best to answer !

I just bought in mount talbot, right on the roundabout on the grounds of the hotel, they were quite pricey but will be well worth the investment I hope as the luas is 30 seconds over the flyover, there are still a couple left as far as i know, and its within walking distance of the village which is a bonus, check out

[broken link removed][broken link removed]

I've lived on Monastery Road in Clondalkin for the past few years and I love it, You have everything on your doorstep, good transport links - bus and luas/ short drive into town/ right beside the M50, you can get to Bray in less than 20 minutes at weekend since the M50 extension opened) Airport also 20 minutes (off peak!)
There's a great choice of schools C of I/ Gaelscoil, plenty of sportsgrounds/ new swimming pool in the village planned for this year,
I think you've made a wise investment.

I have live in Clondalkin for the past 7 years. First in Cherrywood Park. Cherrywood is what its an area where you buy your first house. I liked it in a lot of ways but there are a lot of houses rented there. I now live on the Monastery Road and as the poster said above I love it. If your budget stretches buy in the village.

I just bought in Mount Talbo too, living there about a month now. Happy days so far....the LUAS being so near is a total God send!

Have noticed some kids about at certain times from a neighbouring estate but they have not caused any bother as far as I can see.

M

I'm on Monastery Rd for the past 4 years - A v nice part of the world. Obviously have the traffic to get onto the red cow in the mornings, but traffic is brutal all over Dublin. Mount talbot is steeply priced, I think you will find if you look in areas close by. It may be close to the luas but its further away from the village. Theres an astronomical amount of takeaways - indian/chinese/chippers etc in clondalkin. A lot of pubs too. Its a good area. FTB are probably looking over the other side of Clondalkin though- Grangecastle etc. These are a fair bit further away from the facilities of the village.

True, I would personally rather be nearer to the LUAS than the village. On the bike\car its only a 5 min drive anyhow, LUAS is so near for getting into town and abandoning the car.

Actually I'm from Monastery too (like alot of the previous posters it seems). I lived in the old main Monastery estate growing up (about 28 years) and have since bought a home with my fiance in one of the newer Monastery Estates adjacent to it (for the past 3 years). It is the only area I wanted to live in. We were actually considering selling, but have recently changed our minds, as we don't want to leave. If you get anywhere along the monastery road you will not be disappointed, it is a very safe and well cared for area and I would have no concerns for my fiance's safety if she was walking home at night, unlike some other areas. Indeed some of the estates have competed in the Tidy estates competition and have consistantly ranked very highly at the top level, even competing against areas in Blackrock, Dundrum etc.

There are other good areas such as New Road, St Brigids. Try and stick to what I call the Old part of Clondalkin if your budget will stretch to it (they are pretty expensive), but personally I would never consider buying in Riversdale which is located in the Village as it can be a little dodgy at times - this is down to a minority of troublemakers as usual (but this is just my own view - I have some friends who enjoy living there and have had no probs at all). Perhaps you might get an apartment in either the Shalimar or Mount Talbot complexes. These will be a good investment imo.

Woodford / Dutch Village would also be an option as they are close by too, and many go for quite reasonable prices second hand, but they wouldn't be as nice as the other areas mentioned - but not too bad either (the prices reflect this)

I don't really know the other side of Clondalkin that well, so I cannot comment on it, other than to say that when I went to school that's where the all the tough kids came from! (make up your own mind on that one). That said, you could live in one of those areas and never have a problem. BTW I wouldn't go beyond the Mill towards Neilstown. If it's past the Lough and Quay, forget it is my advice. (The area has improved in places, but is still very 'hit and miss').

as a Clondalkin 'lifer' have to disagree with comments re Riversdale - my parents live quite happily there and it's a lovely mature estate. IMO avoid the Dutch village as its full of rental and the mindless kind of thugs that throw stones at buses

I have also known Clondalkin all my life and would agree that certain parts of "Dutch Village" have now gotten quite rough, though there are still some lovely roads in it. I lived in St. Patricks and it was a lovely area, though the prices will now reflect that too!

Back