Expensive statements problem

Tim Robbins

Hi,
I need to get credit card statements for the last few years and I was hoping this would not be a problem. I am with AIB VISA and they will charge me four euro per month. This means 48 euros per year. So if I need 6 years, you're talking 300 bucks which seems extremly expensive.

I can't believe this. Anybody got any good ideas or advice for this?

Thanks.

I dont think you will get it for €6.35

see thread below

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=124014&highlight=data+protection

also what was said by one of the contributors
Many thanks for all of the replies. My brother in law's solicitor asked him to provide all statements from when they took out their mortgages. The have a home and business mortgage. There is a dispute over how much each contributed.

He asked the bank for all statements going back six years. They said that they could provide statements for the past 12 months free of charge however the previous five years would cost just under €400.

My wife phoned the
data protection commissioner's office and a lady there indicated that statements do not fall under the provisions of the data protection act. She described it as a loophole and stated that because statements were sent out already then that information had already been provided. The cost is around €6.

let us know how you get on.

Indeed, I can't imagine why anyone would think they would be covered: as stated above, they were already provided. The onus is on us, the customers, to keep them if we think we will need them in the future.

The fact that they are already provided is irrelevant. The act allow you to get a copy of all Data held against you. The data may not be provided in 'statement' form, but must be provided. Many large organisation (Banks, Insurance, Utilities, Revenue cheques etc) scan physical documents before they are sent to you, so you may well receive copies of all these scans.

Back