Basic Laptop for Internet usage & Skype

InfoSeeker

I use the internet purely for surfing, ie I do not download large files & the only other usage I have would be skype.

I checked Dell and the cheapest option I could see with a decent monitor size, ie 15" or greater would be 500 euros.

Has anyone being in this position before & could they vouch for alternative places to look to get a cheap laptop, ie 2nd hand would be fine.

The netbook would be ideal except that the monitor size is too small, they usually come in the range of 7-inch to 10-inch screen.

I got a laptop last weekend in the Dunnes Store 10% off sale for 359 euro. (399 normal). It work fine & has built in wireless. Battery lasts about one hour.

the advent netbook from pd world. €375, win xp and 80gb. 10 inch screen and 1kg in weight. Performes well - I have one. Has camera built in. Recommended.

Who's your service provider? Many are giving away Dell notebooks with a broadband subscription. e.g. perlico.

Is battery life a major consideration, ie will you be using it while you travel.

You could check out the Dell Vostro range as there are models there starting at €379ex vat with a 17" Widescreen monitor.

The vostro range is a business orientated laptop, there are no frills so it would suit your needs as a web browsing machine.(low end graphics, 1gb Ram - Vista likes a bit more).

PM me if you would like a hand in choosing one.

You may be able to find some more alternatives here
[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]? €399 in Dunnes and 25% off right now (until Sunday I think) in the form of loyalty card vouchers to be issued in December which effectively makes it €300 net.

Back