Fuji FinePix Z1 or similar?

sluice44

I want to buy my first digital camera. I tried my friend's HP camera but the slooow shutter lag drove me crazy. My initial needs are to take 'snaps' and maybe post some of them to a flickr account. But...who knows where it'll lead!! I'm trying to decide what camera I need (?) but right now, I'm after an ultra-compact camera that fits in my pocket.

I think I've settled on the Fuji (5mp) [broken link removed] but I'm a bit worried that there's no 'optical view finder'. Pixmania are selling it for (19/03/06). There's also the [broken link removed] which sells for (Pixmania - 19/03/06) but it uses 'special'/Sony memory sticks. It doesn't use an 'optical view finder' either.

Any thoughts welcome.

-- I've already consulted AAM's key posts on digital camera's which has some great starter links.
-- Would I be better buying a super-duper camera-phone with a 2/3 MP camera phone (pda/email would be useful as well) - less gadgets to carry around)??
-- Most/all of the photo's are likely to end up on flickr

The problem with combo gadgets (e.g. phones with cameras with PDA capabilities etc.) is that they may do one or none of the applications as well as a dedicated device.

I mentioned on another thread about buying a Canon PowerShot A520 (US$200 in SF) which is great for a mixture of snaps and more advanced photography. It's a great little workhorse (not as compact as some), has some great features and great optics. I'm buying a PowerShot A410 (€135 from Komplett.ie, €192 in Argos) for somebody else who just needs a basic snapper, largely because of my positive experiences with the A520.

There are some really excellent free digital photography sites out there that contain really in-depth reviews and analyses of most makes and models. Read these before buying anything.

I don't like Fujis largely because of their need for proprietary xD cards rather than ordinary SD cards that can be used elsewhere.

All things being equal a camera from an established photo equipment manufacturer may be better than from a more general electronics manufacturer due to the higher quality of the optics from the former.

I have a couple of Fuji cameras myself, but would agree with Clubman that the Powershot A430 offers more for less money than that Finepix Z1 — and Canon's reputation is excellent. OK, it's not quite as sleek-looking as the Fuji, but...

If it's your first camera, here's a good offer on Pixmania, d with a 512MB card, case, recharger and NiMH batteries. You'll need all of that.

I presume you came across www.dpreview.com, too?

Hey

I have the Sony Cyber Shot which i purchased from Pixmania about a year ago. I dont like it. The batterys dont last long at all, i mean if you are at for a an evening and not even looking back at photos taken just turning it on when you want - i often have to change the batterys up to 3 times.

its also really show taking photos, and to try and take another photp straight after means waiting about a minute for it to refresh itself

Anyway thats my 2 cents!

I bought the Z1 from Pixmania at Christmas. Very happy with it but I'm no expert on it. The pics come out nice though.

New to all this, so have just bought myself a Canon A430, because of the positive recommendations here (and from my other half) and on some of the other sites mentioned.

Cost me €165 inc. delivery from Pixmania. Didn't get the bundle, as we already have most of that stuff in the house.

My other half works in the photography business, and even given his contacts, was unable to source it any cheaper for me.

Cant wait till it arrives now so I can get snapping.

On my 3rd digital 2 Fuji's love them, 1st had 2 mega pixel. For the money the f 450 with 512 card you could take photos forever,there tiny and 5.2 pixel,and easy to use and easy picture files to manage, I cant complain about mine especially Fuji, would like to get the S9500

Back