Will starting a PRSA preclude you from signing up for Auto-enrolment

Loki1974

Hi

I have been searching everywhere to get answers to the following questions. Would really appreciate an informed response.

* If you have a private PRSA unrelated to your employment and do not have an occupational pension can you sign up for auto-enrolement
* I understand that you can not make AVC's to an auto - enrolment pension

My wife is currently 41 is a standard rate taxpayer and has no pension. She could sign up to a work place pension , but where her employer only offers 2% which is worth E720 a year. I believe it is best to start a PRSA now and contribute 25% of her salary to it and claim tax relief at 20%. When auto-enrolment comes in she could reduce her contributions to the PRSA and pay 1.5% of her salary into the AE Pension and initially receive 1.5% from her employer. Do you believe this is the right thing to do. I don't want to set up a PRSA for her only to find out that it will preclude her from signing up to AE. Many thanks in advance

Avoiding getting 2% to take advantage of 1.5% at some indeterminate point in the future?

Avoiding getting 2% to take advantage of 1.5% at some indeterminate point in the future?
On the other hand the Government contributes €1 for every €3 paid by the employee , which is equivalent to 25% tax relief rather than the standard rate of 20%. I would like the wife to start a PRSA but don’t want to be precluded from AE due to her starting a private PRSA .

Back