being sued by someone who tripped on the footpath outside my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially if the letter wasn't sent by recorded delivery and particularly if it was only addressed to "the occupant".

I’m not sure of the wisdom of informing one’s insurance company about this kind of thing.

I think it's a bad idea tbh - it'll only encourage them to engage, and odds are that they'll then settle, rather than go to court. We know what happens, thereafter...

That's part of what's wrong with this country, and our legal system - with solicitors thinking ah yes, this is how it's done... and seeing their fees clocking up, along the way!

Spot on!

I would be pointing out clearly that the solicitor in question is bringing the profession into disrepute.
While likely, we can't be certain as the OP hasn't provided enough details or come back to clarify. It's not unheard of for people to be help liable for hazards they contributed to outside of their property boundaries. If there is even a remote chance of this being the case then the solicitor is doing their job.

There are two things I would do:

1. I would inform insurance company for if there is an issue and if it would be covered failure to tell them could be a problem. The policy for all we know may include legal fees and Insurance Company may be familiar with issue.
2. If finance is an issue I would immediately go to FLAC.
3. @Leo is correct - we don't have all the details.
4. The map at Land Registry / Registry of Deeds - might be instructive.
5. I certain;y wouldn't put the head in the sand.

In an ideal world of course the OP should inform his insurance company . The matter would be investigated within a few months and it would be established if there was a genuine claim or not .
Unfortunately in our little country what would actually happen is as follows .
The Op reports the matter to their insurance .
They hear nothing for months .
Their insurance renewal arrives . It has increased by 25%
OP decides to shop around but of course no other company will touch him because he has an impending claim .
Until the claim is thrown out the Op is a the mercy of his insurance company ( grand bunch of lads )

Not even your name.
Again people are assuming the letter was not addressed to the OP by name, the OP has for whatever reason decided not to answer that or other questions posed.

I'd be surprised if a solicitor just sent such a letter addressed to the occupier when the title holder information is so easily obtained online (and they can bill the search cost to the client)

I think it's a bad idea tbh - it'll only encourage them to engage, and odds are that they'll then settle, rather than go to court. We know what happens, thereafter...

That's part of what's wrong with this country, and our legal system - with solicitors thinking ah yes, this is how it's done... and seeing their fees clocking up, along the way!
This is not the way it works. The letter is a fishing exercise. Only if they issue court documents would the insurance company be concerned, in this case they aren't actually involved as the OP does not own the area where the accident occurred. So he shouldn't involve them yet.

In relation to settlements, these tend to happen 2 years down the line, after much legal correspendence, medical bills etc. The insurance company will only settle on the steps of the courthouse. And all the legal people get paid in the mess of the personal injuries merry go round.

I'm not a one to defend solicitors, but they can only act if people go into them. The problem is the culture in Ireland is if you trip and hurt yourself everyone encourages you to sue.

Only if they issue court documents would the insurance company be concerned, in this case they aren't actually involved as the OP does not own the area where the accident occurred. So he shouldn't involve them yet.
That's not actually true, failing to disclose a potential claim until that stage is a clear breach of the terms of your contract meaning the insurers could absolve themselves of responsibility to fund a defence or any subsequently successful claim.

As the OP hasn't returned to clarify some key points, I'm closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back